yet another bike shop rant

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jerrykr said:
I guess I'm lucky. The closest LBS to me would have every right to fall into the snob category.
They sell the UPPER end road bikes and all the spandex stuff to go with them.
The owner has been asking me to bring by to see my CWC board tracker style bike. The one I traded RR for.
The afternoon my bro and I did the video and rode Upside Down Xcess, I stopped by while the bikes were still on the carrier.
He and his mechanics were very interested in the Xcess build. Later I hauled the CWC over, and they had a blast riding it around the parking lot.

Since then I sold the owner and one of his mechanics two old Columbia balloners I had.
The owner is putting a motor kit on his and the mechanic is planning on powder coating the other one.
They were just having great fun with them last time I was in there.

I don't expect them to carry parts I need, but they always help out with tools, tubes and stuff I know they will have or can order.
Good attitude and respect for the other guy's interests goes a long way!

I have been meaning to stop by K&S when I am on that side of town. I have heard nothing but good things about that shop.

ok, "item x" was a roadie quill. yes, it was and odd size,but i figured this shop was the place to hook me up. of course i could order it online, but i like to support local business. i'm only 1/2 upset that they(the young employees)didnt really wanna help sell me something. my regular guy would at least say"i aint got it but lets look through some of my catalogs, i can maybe get it"
i'm more upset about the department store comment. the bike in question is a '78 schwinn that was made in chicago and sold thru a bike shop.
when i was a kid in the 80s this shop was a schwinn dealer.
oh,well. i'm over it now. i got my part from some shop in california and those kids can eat dirt :lol:
IMG_50441.jpg

I don't think there are any nice alloy stems being manufactured in 21.1mm. But they are far from being a dept. store only item. Schwinn, some Ralieghs and early MTB all used that size. Nitto even made some stems along with DiaCompe and SR. Pretty much the only way to find one is used now. Harris Cyclery does sell a quill adapter so you can you use your favorite threadless stem.

Good that you found one that works.

deven_science said:
The problem with snobbish LBS's is that the taste shifts over the years, as does their stock. Their shops may be full of road bikes now, but ten years from now, it will be something else, and they might be snobbish about those types of bikes, then.

There's a great shop in Yuba City called Van's. Ten years ago, it was filled with cruisers and Nirve choppers, because that's what was hot. Now it's mostly BMX and road bikes, though he does still have a corner of cruisers. Anytime I go in there, he and his young staff are still very cool. They don't anyways have what I'm looking for, but they're very nice about it, and say that they can order it.
Hmmmmm.....you've been to our ghetto? I've had good experience with them(heck they dig through the junk draws to help find odd ball stuff for my projects without complaining. Still is mostly Roadie, MTB, and BMX but thats what sell around here so that's what they carry. We've even got another new shop that just opened in Yuba! :shock: 2 shops in 1 town! UNHEARD OF!

sensor said:
deven_science said:
The problem with snobbish LBS's is that the taste shifts over the years, as does their stock. Their shops may be full of road bikes now, but ten years from now, it will be something else, and they might be snobbish about those types of bikes, then.

There's a great shop in Yuba City called Van's. Ten years ago, it was filled with cruisers and Nirve choppers, because that's what was hot. Now it's mostly BMX and road bikes, though he does still have a corner of cruisers. Anytime I go in there, he and his young staff are still very cool. They don't anyways have what I'm looking for, but they're very nice about it, and say that they can order it.
Hmmmmm.....you've been to our ghetto? I've had good experience with them(heck they dig through the junk draws to help find odd ball stuff for my projects without complaining. Still is mostly Roadie, MTB, and BMX but thats what sell around here so that's what they carry. We've even got another new shop that just opened in Yuba! :shock: 2 shops in 1 town! UNHEARD OF!

I lived in YC for many years. I still own my house there, near the high school. I've got my mom and grandma living in it now. There was another bike shop in YC before, it was even on the same street as Van's (Grey Ave.). They closed a few years ago. They were big time snobs, in my experience with them.

well with me being a new bike shop i most definitely would not have said something like we don't carry it
if i didn't have it i would search all my suppliers and see if i can get the parts and how quick they could get to me
secondly id check ebay for the parts and either tell the customer where they are or buy the myself for the customer or contact the manufacturer if available
another option id do is make the parts r find a good match up that look as close to original as possible
but first and foremost these bike snobs need to realize you're only as big as you're smallest customer that ONE customer could get you alot more business because they wee so happy you go that extra mile to assist them.
it is the customer that makes you're business not the bikes you sell
if people began to realize this we'd all be a lot happier especially seeing as the bicycle industry has so much competition and such low profit margins
im the only bike shop in my area let alone the only rat bike supplier and builder within 45 miles.. but i treat each and every customer as i would wanna be treated that's why i have over 2ooo "family members" and my family continues to grow my customers aren't just customers their people friends and fellow bike enthusiasts
this has been a public rant announcement from dr evil
Sean

Latest posts

Back