Year-ing my Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got to looking for the serial number on my old gold monster (that Huffy Eldorado I posted pics of a few days ago), and I can't seem to find it. I tried the large tube in the frame that the pedals go thru (crank hole?), and there's nothing on the bottom. Was there some other place where the old Huffies kept their serial numbers? I'd really like to date this thing.

Pics would help, since I'm not very up-and-up on bike terminology yet.

Edit: I just found a number on the stem that begins with A3. I also noticed its got what looks like a Bendix red-ring hub.

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

The serial number will be on the left rear drop-out (rear wheel mount). Huffy used a system with their serial numbers that actually made some sense. The serial numbers typically begin with an H followed by a series of numbers. The firs digit after the H is the year of manufacture- H7635251 would be a '57,'67, or ,77. You would need to look at the components and frame design to lock down the decade.

The A3 is just a part number for the stem. The "crank hole" is called the bottom bracket.

Do I have to remove the hub to see it, and is it on the inside or outside? I checked there and couldn't find anything.

Edit: Found it, or part of it at least. Its covered by the basket's main support thingey. I see the numbers "5H3". I can't get a good pic without a macro lens for my camera.

Edit again: Is there some kind of book or website that goes into this in detail? Most of the stuff I've found is rather vague.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I LOVE Huffys, but always found that oldroads page basically useless.
Am I missing something?

I have not used their Huffy pics to id anything, but some of the other brands I have found useful. And they have all of their serial number info together.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I LOVE Huffys, but always found that oldroads page basically useless.
Am I missing something?
Its missing essential data, like what models were made in what years and what their rim sizes are. The pictures are similarly useless because there's only two for that model, the years are really far apart ('59 and '68), and they're of different genders anyway.

Edit: There could be more, but if there is its probably coded to only appear for people running IE 6 or something.

So they had headlights on the tank. Velly intellesting. Wonder if its possible to fabricate a tank for those... hm.... where's my fiberglass kit when I need it?

Latest posts

Back