X-Games bike disc brakes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My fellow Rat-Roddders,
In my ongoing pursuit of brakes for my build, I found an X-Games motobike with front and rear disc brakes.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4088165

The seller is asking $40 for it, which isn't bad, IF I can use it. Quick question, anybody ever used the brakes off one of them? The bike is sold at Wallyworld, so I know I'm getting department store quality. On the other hand, I don't plan to do any 'downhilling' on my cruiser, ya know? Just want to stop. I'm already running a 6-speed freewheel cassette in the rear. I'm hoping to mate the BMX flip flop hub that I assume is on the donor to the existing rear hub, cut the mounts off the donor frame and weld them onto my frame. And away I go!
As far as the front, well....I'm running a 50's Monark springer, so it's out. But, I'll get a backup rotor and pads at least.

Speaking of the Monark, aside from a drum brake hub, can I run ANY brake on it? I think the physics around how the springer works, with neither the main or the 'springer' fork being in a static position relative to the rim, would prevent the use of a caliper (once i find one to fit around the Kenda Kraze), nor could I weld the disc brake mount to one of the forks.
Am I wrong? I hope so..

All help is appreciated..

Cheers!
Dr. T

For the front caliper you could build an axle mounted carrier, which then braces to the fork. This would allow it to pivot and not hinder the movement of the fork. Just make sure the hubs on the x games bikes are have the correct amount of spokes for your rims.

Never did it on a bicycle, but on a BSA w/a springer that I used to ride, I needed a front brake for state inspection. The brake dive and forward brake plate/drum rotation got in an argument any time I had to brake hard, :? pretty unpleasant. Check the set-up on a late model Harley Springer, they supposedly have it worked out. :|

not sure if it applies like you mean, but i used the back one. had a 5 speed cluster on it too. i used the whole rear half of the bike though

Picture024.jpg

seemed to work ok, but i have to say i had a front brake to go with it. going kinda by memory too, 'cause i only rode it a few days then gave it to my nephew.

one correction and addition. are you calling the x-games bike the donor, cause i don't remember it being a flip flop hub. i have another i can look at tomorrow to be sure.

also, while not a monarch, heres an old spin on disc and brake set up on a schwinn type springer. the setup is from an old ten speed

Picture085.jpg

had to pull the fork apart some 'cause it's actually a rear wheel, and like the other bike it has another brake working with it, but it seems to do the job.

Thanks to everybody for the advice/input! Again, this forum rocks!
hmmmm....axle mounted disc you say?....hmmmm.... :roll:
I think for $40, I'll go ahead and get the bike and see what I can do, if nothing else I can clean and flip it.

Cheers!
Dr. T

I didn't realize it had a triple tree suspension fork on the front, maybe the Monark can go into storage.
I like the foam fork stops too. :lol:
hmmm....cut off the silly 'brake booster' bridge, got discs, don't need it.
Maybe save it for the short-forked chopper idea I'm bouncing around in my brain. :roll:

took a quick look at mine and decided it must come off somehow, but i'm only going by seeing that it's a different color than the rest of the hub. i'd take a pipe wrench to it ("cause... i like precision instruments), but i don't need it off myself right now and don't want to break it if i'm wrong.

as for what to do with one, one thing i did on the other i had was cut that piece that looks like a seat pole off, and welded an actual seat pole from a scrap frame in it's place so i could use a regular seat/seatpole and adjust the height.

It's possible that the set screws hold an inner part, and the flange is a permanent part of the hub. :? (Most brake flanges are.)Can you see any evidence of different material,threads or locking compound down in the set-screw holes?

Back