X-53 Tadpole (His & Hers)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build began here:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57706

I will be building a His & Hers tadpole recumbent from parts of my Western Flyer X-53s. This will be a slow, slow, build as I'm doing a lot of home projects for my house. I also want to electrify these with small rear hub motors. Right now I'm just studying the frame and many different tadpole designs and builds to see how best I can use the parts. I don't have a plethora of used parts so I'll probably end up buying a lot of stuff in the end.

Here was my rough Paint hack to get just a rough idea. It may turn out completely different but that's the fun in it. I also tried looking at a trike design but didn't like were it was going.
72w00j.png

iljcsn.png

Since I don't own any 20" wheel anything, I was wondering about buying two kids bikes from walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-Heartbreaker-20-Girls-Bike/17206766

It has the 20" wheel with brake and it comes with white walls! (Unique looking frame piece too)
Come Friday or Saturday I'll start to play with the frame. :shock:

Well I started taking the beast apart tonight to begin the clean up. She's giving up a good fight. I kept turning the kickstand bolt until it just sheared off. Ouch. :x

9a7rro.jpg

214z1at.jpg

I got to start cleaning the garage to make room for this.

arpicker said:
Can you upload pictures of the girls x-53 before you cut into it? I've never seen one before.. Thanks :D

Sure thing. I think the girl's frame is a different brand but they were both made by the "Cleveland Welding Company"
so it matches up perfectly like a Western Flyer.

This is a picture of the girl's X53 (not mine) My tank is already painted in the red/blk/chrome scheme.
2588brm.jpg

Haven't done much with the build. I'm still taking parts apart and soaking them in Oxalic Acid (Barkeepers Friend bath) then cleaning them up.

DeusVult said:
arpicker said:
Can you upload pictures of the girls x-53 before you cut into it? I've never seen one before.. Thanks :D

Sure thing. I think the girl's frame is a different brand but they were both made by the "Cleveland Welding Company"
so it matches up perfectly like a Western Flyer.

X-53's are Murray made not Cleveland Welding

Not getting anywhere on the build. Too many hours at work. This weekend I'm going up to Boone so nothing to be done again.

I'm still mostly cleaning and washing parts over and over and over. I'm wishing I'd not bought such heavy rusted and pitted parts for cheap. :x
I have finally worked out in my mind how I'm going to connect the 20" wheels to the main "beam". I'm going to make my frame cuts tonight for sure! :)

Been playing around in paint some more and before I go completely electric I'll put a 60cc engine on in the meantime:
24o8550.png

If I had the money I would do this instead. But you British guys have expensive parts. :p
28te2wk.png

:arrow: I'll post pics late tonight of the cut frame and my rust removal manufacturing plant.

This is my rust removal operations. Tub with OA, tub with water and baking soda, newspaper laid out for WD-40 spray down.
100_4909.jpg

I sold my nice tank to someone on here, and kept the rusty Betty.
100_4911.jpg

100_4912.jpg

This was me mocking up with the girls 20" bike I bought. Going to use the frame for a large sweeping fender and the caliper brake and wheel.
100_4910.jpg

WARNING Graphic image ahead!!!
I used the reciprocating saw for the first time. Sure beats the 4.5" grinder.
100_4913.jpg

Finally finished taking off the rest of the rusty parts. I had to take a Dremel wheel to some of the bolts. I need to get a bike stand because holding things between the legs is getting tiresome fast.

Back