Would you restore this bike or leave on t alone and just fix it up its a gtr sidewinder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
abc53678e88cdf7bead404827b66b1ed.jpg

They are only original once. It is your bike but I would fix it up. The paint and chrome are in good condition. I like the checkered banana seat too.

Anybody can resto.
It takes a real Rat to
Ratrod .
I say, get out the flat black.haha.
Cool bike man.clean it and
Enjoy.
can't beat original patina.
Its the bikes history.

Ya I already bought a shifter for it but I have to rig it cause I couldn't find the original

What would you guys use to take off the rust and shine it up ..im using foil and wd40 bit it's taking a lot of time and im not sure what to do with the paint on the bike to let it shine

I'd watch the graphics as you clean it up. That looks like a Sturmey Archer 3 speed shifter. You should be able to find an exact replacement or parts. I'll bet an upholstery shop can find near that same fabric and redo the banana seat. I'd add a layer of memory foam. Then your set!

Last edited:
I bought a nice 100% original Dyno and have been customizing the heck out of it, but I've saved every original part. I could put it all back to stock if I ever wanted... although I know that's not likely! But it makes me feel better.

What would you guys use to take off the rust and shine it up ..im using foil and wd40 bit it's taking a lot of time and im not sure what to do with the paint on the bike to let it shine
The bike finish is just like your car... nothing abrasive, just soap and water maybe a little degreaser if it's really grungy near the dropouts or BB, dry and light polish is good. On an old and rusted patina you'd want to save, many believe in boiled linseed oil. I don't have any experience with that yet, but someday... Me, I like sos pads for the rims but I see graphics on the guard so no abrasives there...as far as aluminum foil goes the foil just fills in any pits, but you need to get them clean first, that's where sos pads rule...

Carl.

Thanks man ill send you pictures of the frame and the other stuff thanks for the knowledge

clean the chrome with a soap pad. brillo or SOS. put some dish soap in the water and make sure you keep everything wet. on the paint.. Start with dish soap water and a vinyl bristle scrub brush.a soft bristle one.then use a spray wax on the whole thing.
I just read where someone said use degreaser. Do not use degreaser.! It will take off the paint. I only use it on Bikes I'm going to completely restore.the dish soap will take off grease.

See the thing that im running it to with the foil is that I still see rust but im not sure how much it takes off I spent a lot of time on it and there is still rust in the Pitts

I use the very fine steel wool pads from the hardware store for cleaning up chrome. 0000 grade is the best for polishing chrome. I add a little light oil or wd-40 on the rust, then use the steel wool like a brillo pad. I leave the oil on overnight for heavier rust.

Back