Worksman Hub Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally put this in the "Fresh Finds" forum and I meant to put this here. Sorry about that.

Hello all, Hopefully one of you can help me. I have a Worksman bike that I bought awhile back. (It is the one I am working on as the Woody Build.) I am trying to figure out why the front hub is so large? Does anyone know? Could it be that it is so large, because it is suppose to be a drum brake, and it is just missing the plate brake assembly? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Workmenbefore5.jpg

Its just a heavy duty hub with huge bearings made to handle industrial-sized loads in the front baskets.

Well it is definitely still cool. I would like to eventually upgrade it to a drum brake hub. I know I can get it direct from Worksman. I think it costs a bit though. The other cool thing is the spokes are 11 gage according to my "LBS".

I'm not sure what the advantage is. It MAY be that it uses the same size bearings as a coaster brake, which would simplify parts supply. Or maybe they can't get a smaller hub that fits the heavy spokes.

The bearings are regular ball bearings, not anything fancy. I think they're adjustable with the two-prong thingamahingy tool, rather than cone wrenches. It's been a while since I had mine apart. The axle is just a long bolt.

Here's a size comparison, hub-brake version in front, my bike wheel behind it.
DSCN0397_366Proc.jpg

Its because worksman is smart. If you look I think the front hub is the same size as the back coaster hub...same size spokes. They wanted $1.00 per spoke. I have a front drumbrake hub and spokes that you could lace to your rim. Get with me if your interested. :wink:

Where I work, there are a lot of these heavy duty bikes due to the size of the buildings/distance etc.

There are some really "sizeable" people pedaling around on them.

Hi All. I really want to thank everyone for their knowledge and help. When you start out only knowing how to put air in your bike tiers, it is really great to have a community that is always willing to lend a helping hand, knowledge and opinions. Thank you!

Back