Worksman Fork Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I was working on my Worksman project again after a long break. I have a Monarch Springer that I want to add to it. I am not very experienced in taking my bike apart or working on it. I thought that if I unscrewed the bolt in the top of the stem that the stem would come off. When I tried to pull it up, it did not budge. I then Tried to unscrew the bolt that I assume would hold the fork to the frame, but it seems like it would not completely unscrew because the upper nut section would not go any further up the stem. What am I doing wrong? Can someone help?

Jason

the bolt that runs through the stem should be attached to a wedge inside the fork. sometimes that wedge gets ... "wedged". best thing to do is put the stem bolt back into the stem and make sure it gets threaded back into that wedge. dont tighten it back up all the way but you want to make sure its threaded into that wedge. then take a hammer and smack the bolt (it may take a few taps) this uses the bolt to unstick the wedge. after you know its loose (the bolt will feel loose in the stem) the stem should be able to be pulled out and you can finish taking the fork off.

Ok now that concerns me. When I was loosining the bolt, it felt like it was not unscrewing strate. When I finally got the bolt out, it looked shered off on the end. Would that mean that the bolt broke off in the wedge and I am now up the creek? :oops: :cry:

sounds like it broke off, in that case i would dump some wd40 or pb blaster into the stem/fork steer tube and let it soak. try putting the bolt back in the stem and smacking it with a hammer, the main thing is to get the wedge knocked loose. then you can worry about if the stem is rusted in place. if the remaining bolt is not long enough you may need to find something else that is. you can replace those wedges and stem bolts pretty easily or just replace the entire stem

right now the hard part is just getting the stem out of the fork, after you fix up enough old bikes, youll learn this is kind of a common problem :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice Jeremy! I really appreciate it. I will have to try the PB blaster and I may have a rod the same length that I can use to tap the wedge out with. Worse come to worse, I can always purchase a new bolt wedge and stem from Worksman if I needed to. Thank you again for your thought. It is well appreciated. :)

Regards,

Jason

Latest posts

Back