Worksman Cycle Rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been rebuilding a '64 Schwinn Cruiser frame I found by buying every dirt cheap schwinn wreck I could find and parting them out. One of my finds was an 80 Schwinn Cruiser that had some parts I needed. I didn't need the wheels so I took them off and put them in the corner of the garage. Well the '64 is rolling and I'm cleaning up so I checked out the wheels a little closer. They are Worksman Cycle rims with the 11g spokes. Shimano coaster on the near absolutely perfect rear wheel. I clean the dirt off and used some nevr-dull on it and it is so near to new it's amazing. The rear wheel I understand...

The front, however... It's in great shape also though not as great as the rear. Minor chrome imperfections. But what is the deal with the hub on this thing? First, it's huge... and it's not the drum brake one. Second, the bearings are all attached and fuxed and the axle simply slides in and out through the hub... It's not bolted to it. It just holds the wheel on the forks and the forks pinch the giant nuts that hold the bearing assembly and the wheel spins round and round. Third, it is like 4" wide... It had those old Schwinn blade forks stretched out a bit to accomodate it. Is this thing even a real front wheel or did somebody put a trike wheel on the front of this thing and call it done?

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Do you want to sell them? Private message sent.

That's their standard heavy duty front hub. While heavy, they tend to last forever and can carry a LOT of weight. If it were my bike, I'd keep it since they are great hubs.

Commonly called a "Knock-out" hub, these are used on Cycle trucks, where there is only a "hole" at the end of the forks. The sliding axle is used to go through the fork holes and parking stand at the same time. Nice find!

Latest posts

Back