Working with leftovers and some newly purchased parts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I mocked up my next build.

100_5284.JPG

100_5286.JPG

Just need to choose the handlebars and a different chainguard before disassembly and the actual build.
100_5288.JPG

100_5290.JPG

100_5291.JPG

100_5292.JPG

100_5293.JPG

100_5294.JPG

100_5296.JPG

Will also likely cut flat sides out of the sheetmetal pictured and weld to both sides of the frame (for that tank look).
100_5308.JPG

Lastly, will try to incorporate this old battery light assembly into the build.
100_5299.JPG

100_5305.JPG

Once I have everything test fitted and selected, then will work on the color. I want to have the patina look so will probably have it painted rust color with black over. Then will sand in different areas through the black to expose the rust color. After that's done, will have it clear coated with a satin finish.

Let's see how long this build will take me to finish.

That light will be perfect. You could disconnect the head light from the battery case. Mount the light upfront, extend the wires and hang the battery tube instead of a tank.

cman said:
That light will be perfect. You could disconnect the head light from the battery case. Mount the light upfront, extend the wires and hang the battery tube instead of a tank.

That's not a battery tube. That's the switch/handle assembly. This light is an old 60s or 70s Rayovac that accepts the boxy 6 volt battery. The box that holds this battery is missing so I thought about just having a mock light. However, I am thinking of ways of wiring it to actually work. Not sure how strong, and how many batteries (likely D cell) I would need to run that light to be bright enough. I guess a trip to Radio Shack is in my future.

Made some progress over last weekend and a few hours this week. Not sure, but I think that I'm done, for now. :p

Started with a leftover frame and just the handle bars. Added some new wheels, new seat (found at an estate sale), new tubes, rack (got with a 24" JCH that I purchased earlier this month). Added some fenders from an old Schwinn (thanks to TheFlyingDingo), an old bell (thanks to rusty513), and a Nevada license plate (thanks to dumpster_diver). The LBS provided a spare set (take offs) of truss rods from an Electra bike (was just missing a bolt to hold them together), an Electra mudflap and the very elusive, if purchased separately, fender support brackets. The chainguard came from another LBS that has a ton of old parts to dig through. I wanted to use the Spaceliner chainguard, but it wouldn't fit no matter how much I tried. The JCH chainguard fits the best and looks decent.

Bike rides very nice. Not sure if I'll have it painted completely. I will definitely remove the stickers and probably do a rattle can "rust colored" spray job in various places and follow it up with some fine steel wool. Will also add some block style pedals, torpedo style grips and clean up the whitewalls and handlebars. Also have a generator/lights lot coming that I bought on eBay. Might add it to this bike.

Total build was under $100. Let me know what you think.

100_6426.JPG

100_6427.JPG

100_6431.JPG

100_6428.JPG

100_6434.JPG

100_6435.JPG

P.S. If you have an old reflector that I can mount to the bottom of the rear fender, PM me. I'd like to get one and add it to the fender.

Back