Women’s Varsity hop-up

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys:

Spiffy in a jiffy.

We were in a pinch for bikes the other day and I went to pump up the tires on my women’s Schwinn ‘parts bike’ that is still fully functional and the tire split!!!!
IMG_8499.jpeg
IMG_8500.jpeg

I bought the bike for parts (fenders) for last year’s build off, the Varsity Party Bike.

It was too nice to scrap, so I figured I’d keep it as a spare. When I went to use it as a spare, the tire split!

So, I’m putting on new tires, mini scrub and a tuneup.

Got these off eBay. Schwalbe - YUP

While I was over inflating the front for an even tire seating, I blew a tube, which sounded like a shot gun going off and scared the heck out of me!!!!
IMG_8501.jpeg

Last edited:
The bike is pretty clean, but the pedals had a lot of grease and dirt build up on them.

Sorted that out and lubed them up. They could have soaked longer and gotten cleaner, but they’re good enough for an ‘extra bike’

IMG_8502.jpeg

IMG_8503.jpeg
IMG_8504.jpeg

Last edited:
very nice, and I had a shotgun blast once at a 100 psi on a roadie, never again shall that happen.....not on my watch.....never again, half the street came out to see what happened, I was in my shed at the time with my head right next to the tire so it ringed and echoed a bit

The whitewalls look good and work well with the blue.

I was working at Jacksonville shipyards using a 59 Schwinn as transportation back in the 70's. We were on the job when a gunshot rang out. The whole crew went out to the street to see what happened but no one was out there. Only after shift when I went to ride home did I see the front tire of my bike in shreds. I aired up at a gas station going to work and probably had 80psi or more in it.

Back