woman's Spaceliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't get Scrumblero to buy this one to keep me from buying it. Ended up picking it up today for $85 which is pretty good for anything vintage in the bay area. The serial number is 502 469110 500198. 502 is Murray build codes?

I picked this up figuring I would part it out once I've grabbed a few parts I may use off of it. The front hub is toast and has fatigue cracks all the way around the bearing cups. The rear hub is in good shape and will probably end up being built with some hoops I'm powder coating at work (at least until I convert it over to a skip tooth on the cheap). It still has some Carlisle Stud 26x1.75's with some sidewall cracking. Other than missing the rear rack and fender reflector I think it's complete and original.

The head tube is the same size as my 1947 Murray so I may put the rat trap on there in it's current chopper configuration. Haven't decided if I want to keep or sell the springer.

Pic from the ad.
AsPurchased1.jpg

Pic as it sits at the moment until I strip it down.
MixedUp.jpg

Very cool!! I love those springer forks. I just picked up almost the same exact bike with most of the headlight tank there. does yours have the red band bendix hub?

I think 469110 is the sears catalog number.. I wanted to buy it but the boss wasn't all that receptive..

you know I want that rat trap, right?? she didn't say nuthin about parts... :roll:

Yes, it's got the red band Bendix hub. I think it's the first one that I've ever seen that says Made in USA instead of Made in Mexico.

Scrumblero:
I figured that you would just buy just for that springer. It's also nice and rusty. It would fit just perfectly on there. Don't know if it's just this one, but the spring is very stiff on the rat trap. In both the correct and raked out configuration.

I'm going to be bringing parts to sell at the swap meet in Sacto on the 13th.

I keep trying to figure out a good way use those fenders on my rat. Something about those middle weight fenders stuffed with 26x2.125's. Problem is both the front and rear fenders use some odd ball length support bars making things a bit challenging.

Basically I'm just looking to at least break even after I've pulled the rear hub that I need and maybe the fenders. The rest of it will be up for sale at the swap meet.

sure. If you're going to the swap on the 13th you can grab them then. I haven't started tearing that bike down yet but will set them aside once I do.

Rustinkerer said:
46911-It's a 1964.-Adam

Cool. I had looked up the Sears catalogs on WishbookWeb.com and they had a 64 and 66 catalog. The chain guard looked the same on the 64 and had changed on the 66. I figured that this one was around an early 60's, no later than a 65 due to the chainguard change.

Back