Winter hobbies

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've taken the footage for the build off CCM video and with that I am done with biking for the year. Time to spend some time indoors with my other pass times. The 2 main ones are model building with the 1/24 scale VW rat bus project pictured below as a prime example and my fight simulator cockpit that I have dug up in the shop. I hope to power it up again in a few weeks. I'll have better pictures of it soon.

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

300143917_5513076f21_o.jpg

Man, that thing is USED! Great work! I love the work that you and the other builders put into your models. Alot of our local car shows have model contests and I always seem to look the models over more closely than I do the real things! Keep us up to date on this build.

In the past my main winter hobby has been weightlifting and strongman type training, but I don't know if I'll be able to get back into it this year. :( While deadlifting, I lost my grip, twisted and tore my back up pretty good and haven't lifted since. I'm gonna give it a try but I think I'm finally feeling my age and then some. We've got a pretty sweet gym in my friends garage. Alot of the equipment was either built from scratch or was found or purchased very cheap and was then modified to suit our needs. I'll see if I can find some pics of the gym.

I plan on completing several of my bike projects that have been sitting around. I also have some big ideas for our bike/maintenance trailer. Gonna get a little FreakRatty with it! And IF I get my act together, I've got just about all the parts for my motorized wagon, so who knows what might be screaming around the neighborhood next year!

Usually in the winter I race r/c trucks 1/10 offroad, usually on sundays.
This winter, I am going to learn the basics of blacksmithing in my back yard, I built a forge out of a 55 gallon drum, got some hammers and stuff.
Next project will be to build a lean-to type structure so's I dont freeze the boys off.

Sweet bass sensor, Paul Mcartney would be proud!!!!

Well as always I will just keep building things.....I have a few more HotRods coming in for some uhpolstery work and many more custome bikes to build. Not to mention my own HotRod...... The big thing I guess is to finish the reno upstairs and build my kitchen.... :mrgreen:

2044481889_65de1c6753.jpg

Flickr photo page

I mentioned in an earlier topic my other hobby. This is my latest Lego creation. It was built for a contest in the Lego car club I and a friend started called LUGNuts. The LUG stands for Lego Users Group. This keeps me quite busy during the winter months.

I'll try to make some progress on the restoration of this old scooter, a 67 Vespa Sprint 150.

lixogu0.jpg

Hugo

I go outdoors as much as possible,
snowshoeing, snowscooting, snowboarding, my stepbrother got 50 husky dogs and sleds...this winter will be a blast!.

IMG_4971.jpg

Hugo said:
I'll try to make some progress on the restoration of this old scooter, a 67 Vespa Sprint 150.

Hugo

nice...

i have a '66 sprint with a P200 engine that i still havent finished... :?

well lets see

1. get the darn build off bike done in time

2. get my darn licence back so i can drive the ranchero again

3. ride...... see i am lucky here living in ca where yea it is a bit colder this time of year but you can still ride at least.

I hope to finish this up during the winter.
P1010034.jpg

This is the seat I'll be using.
P1010015.jpg

I picked up the 'suspension unit' on ebay for $20. It was seized up with rust when I got it. I dosed it with penatrating oil for two days before I got it unstuck. BEFORE:
P1010445.jpg

AFTER:
P1010504.jpg

Bougt the pan NOS (in a box with an AMF decal on it) on ebay for $100. SHINY!!. It's dated 1977. Sat on a shelf for yeeeaaarrrsss.
P1010510.jpg

I'll be using these bars. dig the 5 gallon tanks. Some fat girls are beautiful.
P1010039.jpg

If you look at the first pic note the thin blue tape on the saddlebags. this bike will have a 2 tone paint scheme with white on the inside and bottom ofthe tanks and black or blue (i haven't decided yet) on the top.

Worked on the shovel mounting the tank emblems. pulled out a dent with my homemade dent puller. and welded up the holes afterward.
P1010118.jpg

fabbed up and welded on a mounting tab to replace the broken one.I picked up thes 5 gal. tanks cheap on ebay. Defective but cheap, its ok I'll fix em'.
P1010119.jpg

I drew line A off the straight lines of the saddle bag lids with a straight edge. drew my mounting line B up higher but still parallel.
P1010120.jpg

Using a gravity clamp.(block of steel)
P1010121.jpg

ones on and pretty much parallel with the saddle bag lines which i made sure were parallel with the frame lines. The exhaust will be parallel also. I like parallel lines on baggers.
P1010122.jpg

I had to measure from the filler bungs down or up in this case with the tanks upside down because the L tank hangs lower than the R.
P1010126.jpg

L side done.
P1010127.jpg

Tada!!
P1010128.jpg

Now its off to the sand blaster along with the fenders that I need to fill some holes on. It'll be easier with em' blasted.

I take naps, cuddle with my woman, and make up new football plays for next years season (I coach). I would like to find a ski for the front of one of my old bikes, anyone know if those are made?

I don't think that would be to hard to build but from the sounds of it your way too busy already!! :wink:

Me and the boys are gonna spend the winter writing and recording some new tunes! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BWGOD.jpg

Markm said:
Me and the boys are gonna spend the winter writing and recording some new tunes!

Let me guess....a Christmas album covering Andy Williams tunes?..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kiddin'...sweet photo!

Here's some pics of an engine stand I built for my shovel. I measured one, had some metal sheared and bent it in a brake. Also cut some angle iron for legs.
P1010170.jpg

clamped em.
P1010171.jpg

tacked em. also notice the marks for the welds. I can see them while I'm welding and it helps keep the welds neat.
P1010172.jpg

P1010174.jpg

P1010175.jpg

Back