WIDOWMAKER IV - ready to rumble!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: WIDOWMAKER IV - update 6-8

NAILED IT.

Should by a pic of this bike on wikipedia under the heading "21st century rat rod".

Simple yet thoughtful, modern and retro, boundaries pushed, FUN expanded.

Thanks for keepin' it real! 8)

Couple of extra points:

How does a skip tooth front sprocket work with a regular rear cog?

Are you gonna get that front light actually powered up?

LOVE the stem.

Love the "ratty red" paint. A touch o' satin clearcoat (or leave it) and call it perfect.

man, i almost made it back to page 2 again! :lol: ok...the rear sprocket is a 22 tooth,that has since had every other tooth ground off leaving an 11 tooth skipper! yes the tractor light will be functional.right now,im trying to dial in the shifter,then the bike will be broken down and the frame painted in oil rubbed bronze! :D as for the tanks and forks.........something special! :shock:

First off, cool bike, my fellow Texan! Like a lot of others, I just love the combo of new and old.

Second, mind taking us down a little sidetrack on your headlight's LED conversion process?

Third and final request, how does she ride?

Mike H.
Irving, Texas

Man that turned out Great. I like those bars and headlight.

txcomt said:
First off, cool bike, my fellow Texan! Like a lot of others, I just love the combo of new and old.

Second, mind taking us down a little sidetrack on your headlight's LED conversion process?

Third and final request, how does she ride?

Mike H.
Irving, Texas
heres the headlight conversion pics you wanted,tex! :wink: took a 9 led flashlight that runs on 3 aaa batteries. sliced off end of flashlight and epoxied it to the original bulb housing. put batteries in a sealed battery pack,soldered it up,wrapped up the battery pack in a piece of old black foam,then put a toggle switch in the hole where the old wiring came through!works great and you can hardly see the switch! 8)
DSCN2616.jpg
DSCN2611.jpg
DSCN2609.jpg
DSCN2606.jpg
DSCN2613.jpg

Thanks, buddy! They're exactly what I was looking for...now I''ve got a nice Fourth of July project!

I think we're all looking forward to some night shots of this beauty!

Mike H.

Re: WIDOWMAKER IV - update 7-13

well, i guess its time to pick up the pace a little bit! :) sunday i stripped the frame down to bare metal and shot the etching primer and the base primer coats. you can see a little of what was the original paint that was maroon and white. there was no other traces of the original paint,just lots of house paint and pitted metal! :( normally i would hit it with primer/filler and smooth it out,but since im using a lot of bare metal parts,the peppering on the frame will go perfect. shot the frame this morning with rustoleum oil rubbed bronze,now i`ll let it sit till sunday,then pop the cups back in and re-assemble. im trying to keep the bike as minimal as possible,but couldnt help throwing together another led converted bullet taillight,with toggle switch control! :D it will be mounted on the lower chain stay,and rotated with the switch at the bottom. boring picture time! :lol: :lol:

DSCN2639.jpg

DSCN2642.jpg

DSCN2635.jpg

DSCN2644.jpg

DSCN2649.jpg

DSCN2659.jpg

DSCN2662.jpg

Re: WIDOWMAKER IV - last pics before......

well, heres the last update pics before showtime! :lol: finally came up with the perfect drivetrain combo to match the frame.found a real sweet colson sweetheart sprocket that matched crank #4,and the diamond chain perfectly! 8) when your doing a kiss build to compete against this years crop of killer bolt-on bikes,every component matters! the suicide shifter was dumped in order to smooth out the lines of the bike. tucked the taillight in tight to keep the lines crisp. the peppering on all the bare metal parts matches the peppering i left on the frame. you can only see the metallic part of the paint,when its in direct sunlight! :) tried to get a few pics of that in,but the sun wasnt cooperating. still holding out on the last juicy parts till the end! :roll:
DSCN2668.jpg
DSCN2680.jpg
DSCN2671.jpg
DSCN2678.jpg
DSCN2683.jpg
DSCN2684.jpg
DSCN2675.jpg

Re: WIDOWMAKER IV - ready to rumble!.

the generation IV widowmaker is finished! :D in the year of bolt-on mania,i bolted on a headlight and a taillight! :lol: :lol: for this years build,most of my inspiration came from RRBO2 and RRBO3. too long of a list to name....karfers higgins,anything built by sensor,and the almighty iron ghost are just a few. 8) took about 90 pics today,at four different locations.would have been fun if the heat index wasnt 103 degrees! :shock: heres a few starter pics while i fine tune the ones for the completion thread. i tried to sandbag this baby till the very end,but the heck with that......the widowmaker is ready to rumble! :lol:
DSCN2699.jpg
DSCN2720.jpg
DSCN2724.jpg
DSCN2731.jpg
DSCN2701.jpg
DSCN2707.jpg

Back