why is everything a schwinn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive noticed this alot lately, and i mean alot. today was 50's day at our school. so i dressed up, dusted off the krush bike and rode to school. my good friend in tail on a flat black magna thats about half a year old. note that neither one of these bikes are cantilever frame, or anything close to a schwinn, yet all day i was getting "nice shwinn!" and "thats a good ole schwinn there!" about both the black bike and my orange one. went home, decided it was a nice day and i was dressed for the occasion so i went to snap some shots, ran into an oldschool hot rodder named ace, "thats one sick schwinn! i love it!" does anyone else get this alot?

all the time then I show the my head badge I get .."What the heck is a roll fast".. :roll: yea man all the time....

All I ever see for sale are Schwinns. I don't think alot of the other bike companies had the market penetration in the Western US like Schwinn did. I

I always say "great old bike"

i know if you hit the flea market everything is liable to get passed off as a schwinn. you can be looking at a bike with huffy or next or whatever written on it big as day, but it'll have a schwinn seat on it and .."yessir that's a schwinn".

I get it all the time because I only ride Schwinn and Columbia even though I don't really care :mrgreen: But people know Columbia :wink:

I have narrowed it down to the promotion used back then. Best quality blah, blah, blah you know. So most people back then got drilled in their head schwinn, so now everything they see must be a schwinn because it survived all these years. I know its a pain but what I do is I tell them "no its not a schwinn, its a (choose your brand of choice) and its way better than a schwinn and 100 times more expensive" you will see that they look at you like you need some medicine but 6 out of 10 will actually look up the brand you told them and pretty soon they will have bike fever!

I was just thinking tonight how even though I have a few Schwinn bikes I really don't care for them anymore than my other brand bikes, I'm not for all the hype, but yes, any bike with some age on it is easily called a Schwinn around here (most called a "Swinn") Ugh... so annoying.

Schwinn, yeah, it's a house hold name..

I think I dislike Schwinn's for the same reason I dislike Burton snowboards...Once a company gets so big they decide to make up their own tire size or in the case of Burton their own binding bolt pattern when industry standards are set, in my opinion, that's overboard.

Plus the Burton's never held up for me, havent ridden one since my asymetrical air 164 lost it's camber after 30 days on the hill, that was back in 1991 :D

Hah! Just 3 days ago I rode my Nirve classic to work and my boss said "Is this your schwinn?" I just said yes and let it be, he's kind of a tool.

I like the comment about Burton snowboards as well :mrgreen: I feel the same way aside from the fact their boots fit me better than any other boot I've ever tried (which has been a lot) so I wear Burton boots :oops:

axsepul said:
I have narrowed it down to the promotion used back then. Best quality blah, blah, blah you know. So most people back then got drilled in their head schwinn, so now everything they see must be a schwinn because it survived all these years. I know its a pain but what I do is I tell them "no its not a schwinn, its a (choose your brand of choice) and its way better than a schwinn and 100 times more expensive" you will see that they look at you like you need some medicine but 6 out of 10 will actually look up the brand you told them and pretty soon they will have bike fever!

i so much agree with you :!:

SCHWINN IS ONE OF THOSE BRAND NAMES THAT WILL OUT LAST EVERYHING ELSE.
EXAMPLE.. WHEN U THINK MOTORCYCLES U THINK "HARLEY". WHEN U THINK FAST FOOD U THINK "Mc D's". WHEN U GOT TO MOVE INTO A NEW APARTMENT U THINK "U-HAL".
REMEMBER... NOT EVERYONE IS OR HAS TO BE A BIKE PERSON. IT'S WHAT SETS U APART FROM THE CHINA BRAND RIDERS. U KNOW WHAT U GOT, AND THEY DON'T.
JUST NOD AND SMILE. :roll:

blame me!! I screw Schwinn badges to all kinds of bikes that lack a head badge, I got extras and I love when people say "nice schwinn" about a spaceliner or electra :lol:

Philphine said:
i know if you hit the flea market everything is liable to get passed off as a schwinn. you can be looking at a bike with huffy or next or whatever written on it big as day, but it'll have a schwinn seat on it and .."yessir that's a schwinn".

ha! that describes half the listings on craigslist around here!

:D

My primary rider is a schwinn. Not because I love schwinns, but because I love this bike. My wifes bike is a Ross. One son, huffy- hybrid. Next son, ( not sure, it was a trash pick) and the last son is on a schwinn too. I think it all comes down to brand recognition. Genius marketing. And product saturation.

axsepul said:
SCHWINN IS ONE OF THOSE BRAND NAMES THAT WILL OUT LAST EVERYHING ELSE.

that must be a joke cause i'm LOL :lol:

I'M JUST SAYIN THAT THERE'S A RESON WHY. EXAMPLE... WHY DOSE EVERY STINKIN IMPORT HATCHBACK OUT THERE HAVE LOOK LIKE A FREAKIN CIVC. SCHWINN HAS A LOOK THAT EVERYONE REMBERS. WHERE I LIVE THE KIDS DON'T KNOW WHAT A SCHWINN IS. BUT THEY KNOW WHAT A LOWRIDER BIKE IS. IT'S THE LOOK OF THE BIKE. IT'S ICONIC, LOVE IT OR HATE IT. BALLS IN UR COURT. HAVE AT IT. :?:

They are good to make a few bucks Just because a lot of people think that they are worth a lot. I also called them the belly button because everybody has one or at least think they do. My personal taste I like to ride something that is not played out. The more weird the better it is, of course with some rat touch ups

Back