Why do you ride your bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uh, bikes have wayyyy more creative freedom than cars.. i.e. you cant chop a car and lengthen it a couple feet to make it cool.. you'll just end up with a random limo. the parts are cheaper, easier to work on, take up less space(so you can have more of em), and are free of fuel costs.. except for the occasional pit stop at taco bell, KFC, A&W, or home. :mrgreen: oh and i kinda have no choice since i only have my permit.

Because I love to travel and I don't care how long it takes to get there. Bikes are a prefered method of travel . I like the sound of car horns beeping at me because they like my bike as well as their beeping at me because I annoy them. Life is good when I ride, rain or shine. My dog likes it too!
Pug004.jpg

GL

Since I was first able to ride without the training wheels, it's been fun.

I like to ride because I spent 90% of my childhood cruising my neighborhood with my buddies, we were the "crew" and we were always exploring. Now that I have a nice car, I do the same with it... I love to go "explore" and just drive for driving's sake.

But bikes have a special place for me. I love building them, I love going places you can't reach with cars. I love the feel of the machine, love the wind in my face (when I'm going downhill, LOL) and I love biking more than any other kind of exercise. I love the feeling of building something mechanical, and then being able to ride it and say "I built this."

I like the wacko nutcase bike builders here. You guys rock.

Like many others have posted here, when I was a kid my bike was my fun, my freedom, and my independence. During summer I'd eat breakfast and take off on my bike(rode my chrome DB Viper for years). Maybe make it home for lunch and then off again until dinner.

Now, it's still just plain fun to ride my cruisers. It makes me feel good, it's very relaxing, and I love cruising on something with curvy, classic looks. My daily driver is a Suburban, and I don't have the extra money for a hot rod or classic car so my bikes fill that niche for me.

Cruisers are also great conversation starters, especially with people that aren't into bikes. So many people really dig them and remember when they or someone they knew had one. It's funny how many people are amazed that cruisers are still being made. :D

Because my office is only 5 mins away from my house.....and i love the feeling when people are staring at you and your bike giving you a thumbs up!

aka_locojoe said:
Dan Jose said:
Hey I just came from a crazy ride through manhattan new york with four of my friends and their choppers, acting like total fools, howling and honking our horns. I love this bike thing! Bump! Lets keep this going, I know they're some more bikers on this site!

BIKE TILL U DIE :mrgreen:
No pictures?

No :? we forgot the camera.

I think probably the first thing about riding was the fun. I think after that came a sense of the danger--the first time out alone, no training wheels, I skinned my knees up real bad before ever leaving the driveway. I remember pretending my bike was a bronco and getting my foot caught in the front wheel and flipping on my face. But this made it more exciting to ride.

Then I remember the fun of being able to cut through alleys, ride through yards, and basically go where cars can't.

Then came the fun of building dirt jumps, fixing bikes, and riding with friends--pushing each other to do ridiculous things on bikes. I got really into modifying and customizing my bikes as a teenager and now as I approach 30 that's where a lot of the fun is.

However, right now my favorite thing is to weave through traffic, fly through red lights, cut through alleys, general bicycle anarchy...but what's general cyclebike anarchy if not FUN!? :mrgreen:

pacman.jpg

What's strange is that even though there is this daredevil aspect of riding like crazy, there's also a real calming, kind of zen thing about it. Riding really helps me relax. When I drive a car now, I just think how much better it would be on a bike. Sure bikes allow you to cut through traffic, but they also can get you to some really beautiful spots. There is something to do with the connection of man, machine, and nature there, although the specifics escape me.

Wow! Cool stories so far! Lets keep'em coming. Dont be shy people, we dont get to answer this question everyday (wive's excluded). I wanna know why you guys really ride before this post ends up in ancient history. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

nothing sets my mind right like bicycle riding. I like mechanical things and I like being fit, so it's natural for me. Thus it's the only thing I do that I have never had to work hard at to be good at.

in my youth it started as a mode of transportation. was riding and thinking about this subject last night.
i guess even though it hurts my knees and makes me ache.
it's the piece it gives me. listing to the wind rush through my ears, feeling the sun on my face,
seeing life at a slower pace and the things you smell that you can't from other modes of transportation.

plus how else are you to know some bugs are sweet, sour and spicy

Why do I ride ? first off its cheap,exercise,something my kids enjoy doing with me,and just an excuse to go outside and play just like when I was a kid. Now building is another story I enjoy the creativity and building things with my hands and then showing off in the neighborhood ( I like to ride a different bike each time) 8)

I'll put it to music for you... Gary

I tried everything in my life

Things I like I try 'em twice

You got that right

Sure got that right

Lynrd Skynrd

Back