Why do bikes matter to you?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, I love this topic already.

I personally find it hard to find the exact words here. At the previous buildoff there was a builder that summarized it pretty good.

I can get a bit philosophical here. Things are complex, but not complicated for me.

Bicycles/bikes, why?
Complexity. My choices or actions are almost never based on one idea or thought. There is always a platform of facets that carry it.

Bicycles are the pinnacle of enjoying life for me. The facets that I can describe are the following:
  • Being outdoor.
  • Physical workout and movement.
  • Means of transportation.
  • Technical aspects.
  • Endless creativity (building, riding and purpose).
  • Beauty (environments, people and bikes).
  • Speed (being able to go fast and enjoy the scenery).
  • Sense of balance, gravity.
  • Relatively cheap.
  • Not heavy on the environment.
  • Bike riding is usually very social!
  • Inspire or get inspired by people and riders.
  • This forum and other communities.
  • Variety of the bike community and its riders (from lowriders, rats, cruisers, stretched, mountainbikes, cargo, antique, retro, road to tall bikes).
  • Impulse control (creating something instead of just buying it).

I'm here in life to experience and share with others. I love to build different types of bikes (although I have my tastes in bikes) and inspire and get inspired by builders that build with a huge variety of skills.
Builders that are 'less' skilled sometimes have the most creative ideas. And highly skilled builders can build the most beautiful bikes and parts. There is no black/white here, a huge gray area and I enjoy it every second. No judgement, just wonder.
It contemplated about it, but it is not about materialism for me personally. If I had the financial means I would build and learn for, and with people.

So to summarize it:
I can build, fabricate and try/experience it. If I don't like it, I can sell the bike or its parts and build something else.
I remain fit and having another silly bike gets you in very nice conversations with people.

In the words of philosopher Charles Eisenstein:
"Pleasing the gods"

Alright, that is enough deep philosophy for today, GTB :rofl:

Last edited:
Wow what Bart said!!! I would add the simplicity of the machine. Bikes are so efficient and basic. I'm partial to cruisers which add style while keeping the mechanical simplicity.

Matti has a philosophy too:
omo-vdaycards.gif
Wheeeee!

cycling is the only thing I never had to try to be good at. It came naturally. That and the freedom it brought at an early age.

Loved bicycles from the very first ride.
can’t really explain it, more of a feeling.
Even today, all these years later, anytime I jump on- my inner soul is instantly a care free 6 year old… I have to ride through the puddles, I have to pop a wheelie, I have to bunny hop that curb, I have to ride as fast as I possibly can, etc..
Truly been a blessing for my mental and physical health.

I also love that there is always something else to learn, a new skill to master, a new trail to ride, a new project to figure out.

The only bad part is that my body can’t keep up with my mind anymore.
Really does suck getting old.

Bikes have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. They have mattered to me for different reasons through the years.

First as a young boy, They were my ticket to the world! Also during those early years without having a father around and not having much money, I learned to be resourceful and cobble together my own bikes from any junk bikes that I could find. I made choppers by cutting fork legs at the crown and hammering them over the ends of other forks, patched tubes, (who does that anymore?), tightened spokes, etc.

Later in my early twenties after leaving home and landing in California, I had a 10-speed bike as my only means of transportation. That bike received a custom rear fender made from a timpani head (use what you have). It was purely utilitarian to keep water off of my back but I did make it look as good as possible to satisfy my creative impulses.

Several years later and back in Alabama, I bought my first ever new bike from a bicycle shop. It was a Giant mountain bike and I had many good times riding trails.

After getting married and having kids, many years passed and I didn't ride very often except for a period that I rode to work for exercise. And during that time I bought my first ever vintage balloon bike (Monark Super Deluxe) from a junk store because I loved the look of it. It sat unrideable in the back of my shop for many years.

Eventually, I decided to restore the Monark and that started me on the current path that I'm on now. That bike led to more interest in other tank bikes and ultimately customizing them as a form of artistic expression.

After I dreamed up the idea of making my own convertible tanks, that led to launching the business of making bike parts to sell to other bike hobbyists. It must be said that RatRodBikes was directly responsible for taking my hobby to the level of involvement that I am in currently.

As of right now, I'm completely overrun with bikes and need therapy to get myself back to normal! :rolleyes: -Jim

Awesome, I love this topic already.

I personally find it hard to find the exact words here. At the previous buildoff there was a builder that summarized it pretty good.

I can get a bit philosophical here. Things are complex, but not complicated for me.

Bicycles/bikes, why?
Complexity. My choices or actions are almost never based on one idea or thought. There is always a platform of facets that carry it.

Bicycles are the pinnacle of enjoying life for me. The facets that I can describe are the following:
  • Being outdoor.
  • Physical workout and movement.
  • Means of transportation.
  • Technical aspects.
  • Endless creativity (building, riding and purpose).
  • Beauty (environments, people and bikes).
  • Speed (being able to go fast and enjoy the scenery).
  • Sense of balance, gravity.
  • Relatively cheap.
  • Not heavy on the environment.
  • Bike riding is usually very social!
  • Inspire or get inspired by people and riders.
  • This forum and other communities.
  • Variety of the bike community and its riders (from lowriders, rats, cruisers, stretched, mountainbikes, cargo, antique, retro, road to tall bikes).
  • Impulse control (creating something instead of just buying it).

I'm here in life to experience and share with others. I love to build different types of bikes (although I have my tastes in bikes) and inspire and get inspired by builders that build with a huge variety of skills.
Builders that are 'less' skilled sometimes have the most creative ideas. And highly skilled builders can build the most beautiful bikes and parts. There is no black/white here, a huge gray area and I enjoy it every second. No judgement, just wonder.
It contemplated about it, but it is not about materialism for me personally. If I had the financial means I would build and learn for, and with people.

So to summarize it:
I can build, fabricate and try/experience it. If I don't like it, I can sell the bike or its parts and build something else.
I remain fit and having another silly bike gets you in very nice conversations with people.

In the words of philosopher Charles Eisenstein:
"Pleasing the gods"

Alright, that is enough deep philosophy for today, GTB :rofl:
What a great list of why’s! I also love the simplicity and functionality of bikes, along with the practicality of them. Thanks Bart:)

Bikes have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. They have mattered to me for different reasons through the years.

First as a young boy, They were my ticket to the world! Also during those early years without having a father around and not having much money, I learned to be resourceful and cobble together my own bikes from any junk bikes that I could find. I made choppers by cutting fork legs at the crown and hammering them over the ends of other forks, patched tubes, (who does that anymore?), tightened spokes, etc.

Later in my early twenties after leaving home and landing in California, I had a 10-speed bike as my only means of transportation. That bike received a custom rear fender made from a timpani head (use what you have). It was purely utilitarian to keep water off of my back but I did make it look as good as possible to satisfy my creative impulses.

Several years later and back in Alabama, I bought my first ever new bike from a bicycle shop. It was a Giant mountain bike and I had many good times riding trails.

After getting married and having kids, many years passed and I didn't ride very often except for a period that I rode to work for exercise. And during that time I bought my first ever vintage balloon bike (Monark Super Deluxe) from a junk store because I loved the look of it. It sat unrideable in the back of my shop for many years.

Eventually, I decided to restore the Monark and that started me on the current path that I'm on now. That bike led to more interest in other tank bikes and ultimately customizing them as a form of artistic expression.

After I dreamed up the idea of making my own convertible tanks, that led to launching the business of making bike parts to sell to other bike hobbyists. It must be said that RatRodBikes was directly responsible for taking my hobby to the level of involvement that I am in currently.

As of right now, I'm completely overrun with bikes and need therapy to get myself back to normal! :rolleyes: -Jim
That’s a really cool story Jim! From hammering forks to creating a business, neat! Keep riding, it’s therapy enough:)

Awesome story, I appreciate that. Do you have a picture of that "Monark Super Deluxe"?

What a great list of why’s! I also love the simplicity and functionality of bikes, along with the practicality of them. Thanks Bart:)
Thank you!

It is a fun and realistic hobby on the affordable scale. You will always have something to learn and as of now we don’t have to license insure and smog them yet. Yes I know that last one seems silly but AI seemed miles away not that long ago as well. And yes wheeeeeee!!!! If you paint a painting you cannot ride it downhill!

Latest posts

Back