why arent oven cleaner, xylol xylene, etc removing paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying different ways to remove paint and save the original. Tried both on different bikes, 1 was house paint and other 2 were spray paint. Left oven cleaner on for 40 minutes and it barely took anything off. rubbed xylol xylene on with a rag and nothing. Why isnt this working for me when it seems to work for everyone else?

what temperature is the frame ?
if its too cold the chemicals will not
react as well.it takes several times
to really start a noticeable removal.
thats why i soda blast.layer at a time.

Maybe this might help. I use the "old style" or regular Easy Off oven cleaner not the no fume one. The regular works well but needs a few hours to peel the paint. Like the can says use in well ventilated area because the fumes will knock you over if you're not careful. The newer no fume is more "green" but didn't do much in stripping off the paint I needed.

Have you tried MEK? you can buy it at Ace Hardware in the Paint supply section. So far that is the strongest paint thinner that I can find. I use it for epoxy coating to thin some of my paint and to take it off when it drips somewhere. But be careful this stuff is awful. Make sure to use it outside. The fumes will make you go sorta blindish temp if you use in in a garage even if the door is open. I learned that one the hard way :roll:

amaes said:
Have you tried MEK? you can buy it at Ace Hardware in the Paint supply section. So far that is the strongest paint thinner that I can find. I use it for epoxy coating to thin some of my paint and to take it off when it drips somewhere. But be careful this stuff is awful. Make sure to use it outside. The fumes will make you go sorta blindish temp if you use in in a garage even if the door is open. I learned that one the hard way :roll:

This is why I posted else where warning about using these types of chemicals! I AM a professional spray tech and resurfacer. We use these thinners on a regular basis, and are safe when used properly, but some of the methods that have been posted absolutely FRIGHTEN me!!! Just a few months ago my boss and I found out that a colleague of ours is no longer in business and has permanent health issues due to a momentary lack of reason and failure to use proper safety equiptment. Use at your own risk but if you ask me I say leave these alone unless you TRULY know what you are DOING! Thats my .02.

It doesnt remove certain types of paint. Also temperature matters I think

Oven cleaner is about as harsh as I get. I've seen the MEK and asked about it to a buddy who runs a sign and graphics shop. It's nasty stuff.
I've been having decent results with the citrus stuff from Home Depot. It takes awhile but it's a lot safer and greener to dispose of.

If you are looking for something in an aerosol try gasket remover.

I am having some of the same problems. The no-fume oven cleaner is not so good, but the original stuff sometimes strips all the way down to bare metal. I have some gasket remover that I have.

Back