Whosyermon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the forum... was just looking for cool rides when Google sent me your direction.

Was in a pretty serious motorcycle accident in 1978...

Indyphotos015.jpg

And have found over the years that riding a bicycle loosens the muscles in my lower back allowing me to walk. So for some 30 years I've ridden a variety of bikes in an effort to keep me vertical...

Indyphotos014.jpg

Heck I've put over 50,000 miles on the recumbent... But not even I love it as much as I love my new baby...

PICT0782.jpg

I live in Florida but grew up in Speedway Indiana and return every summer for almost three full months as I attend the three races at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and visit with family.

So anyway a Couple of summers ago I decided that I wanted to buy a bike to ride when I was up in Indy instead of dealing with the worry of transporting one of my other bikes.

Well two summers of cruising Indy every summer and I'm hooked. Looking for something even more radical to pick up to cruise the Pinellas Trail with when I'm in Florida.

I kinda figured this would be a great place to gain new perspectives.

BTW I should mention that I didn't just discover bicycles at 29... I've loved them all my life from my first 20" Schwinn Hornet (dark green and cream) to my 24" Schwinn Wasp (red and Cream) to my Varsity to my Super-Sport when they were still making them in Chi-town. Bought the Super-Sport in 1970 in Portland Oregon where I was attending college and found out about things called Bike Paths.

Funny story... In 1971 I took a 24" Schwinn Cruiser and put riser bars and a banana seat on it and would ride it downhill from the top of Mt. Tabor's peak. It was kinda gnarly it was pretty steep but well cleared until you got down to the first reservoir.

Oh the funny part! Joe Breeze and Gary Fisher have argued for decades over who first had the idea for a Mountain Bike in... 1976. I guess since I never tried to sell my idea, is the reason why my accomplishments continue to be ignored. :wink: :lol:

deorman said:
Lots of people rode off-road, and even put gears on balloon bikes before that, but no-one called them mountain bikes. :lol:

We were close... we called it our Mt. Tabor bike. But we were just doing with a bicycle what we started doing with our pedal cars when we were all around three. :lol:

That's why I find humor in the Fisher/Breeze debate. My Uncles talk about setting up a bicycle to downhill on in the years leading up to WWII... and it wasn't somethin' that was just in our jeans.

Growing up in the 50s and 60s in a time before BMX was a time in the Mid-West when every empty lot in the neighborhood had a dirt track built on it by the kids in the neighborhood... some weren't much more than a cow path while others had banked turns and jumps built into them.

When my son was first getting into BMX freestyle, dirt jumping and Mt Bike Racing I use to tell him that I was "Xtreme" back when they were still calling it "Being Stupid".

Back