Who's got English ancestry?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do in around about way. My ancestor was Norman noble man that came over from Normandy with William to England in 1066. His name was Adam De Cheveninge. His kids settled in County Kent. There are a bunch of them there. My first ancestor here in the USA was a British major in the mid 1700's in the Tidewater region of Virginia. The name ended up being spelled Chewning(pronounced ChOwning) in Merry Olde. Over here it is spelled Chewning or Chowning, and pronounced the way it is spelled.

my grandmother was a "brummy", and my grandfather I think was from England too. His last name was Thompson (my surname) and I think my grandmum's maiden name was Britton. (edited - mixed up family surnames) my dad also tells me we have Jones lineage from the Birmingham area.

I'm more of a mutt, but my father's side (my surname) "Rider" is English. I've skimmed through his family origins, and from what I remember "Rider" means mounted warrior or messenger, also knight. Not sure what town they originated in, Yorkshire maybe?

I'm also Native American descent, never looked into it much, all I know is I keep a good tan :lol:

The thing about English ancestry, is that you might as well call it pan European. Anglo-norman-celtic-saxon-norse-roman-teutonic-frankish-... well, you get the idea. :wink:

I'm the 3rd generation born in America on my Dad's side and have a bunch of background in me. Mostly Dutch but also Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, English, Scottish, Irish, German, French Canadian, and who knows what else. I'd have to check it out in my family tree. I'm sure many of you Americans can relate. 8)

On my Mom's side, we trace it back to the Mayflower. Oceanus Hopkins was born on the voyage.

On my Dad's side, my grandfather and his two children immigrated from England about 1920. My dad wasn't born yet. The May family butcher shop was bombed out in WW1, so they decided on America. Other members of the family could not be found. There were quotas on immigrants, so they immigrated to Canada, became citizens there, then could come to America after one year because there were no quotas on Canadians. They walked across at Niagara falls.

Maybe that's why I have 3 Raleighs, 2 Hercules (one from Birmingham), a Robin Hood, and a Phillips in my garage.

edit: London is where the family butcher shop was.

British on my dad's side. My Grandfather was the only member from that branch of the family to leave England. The UK side of my family is from the Lancashire region. I really need to go back there soon and if I had the chance, I'd move to London in a heartbeat.

French Canadian on my mom's side. We've traced the French Canadian side back about 400 years.

-Mp

stephen said:
It's great reading this thread, very interesting!

ifits, remember we talked of Meriden in 08?
(For those that don't know Meriden, England is a few miles from me).

oh ya, I remember you mentioning that now. Ya, this towns name's ties to England is it's only charm, believe me. cheers

I am mostly Welsh with some Scottish thrown in for good measure. Last name - Thomas, which I'm told in Wales is as popular as "Smith" or "Jones" here. Perhaps more so. My ancestors came over here pretty early: "Not on the Mayflower, perhaps on the second or third boat" is how my grandfathers would put it (they both said that). Dad is from a Thomas (of course) and a Kelsey. Mom is of a Henry and a Hodge. The Thomas's were Woolers, which apparently was a highly desirable trade as they did pretty well for themselves. Mom's family, I don't really know as far back although there are some dotted lines to Patrick Henry, which is kinda cool. (Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death!)

So when you hear someone speak of old time Yankees from New England and or Yankee ingenuity, think of me. :wink:

There used to be a toy shop where I live called 'Neals', I wonder if they were related to you as Neal seems to be a rare surname?

Skip, wyt ti yn gallu siarad Cymraig?

Charlie Hall (Laurel + Hardy films) came from Erdington which is a few miles from me, there is a pub named after him.

stephen said:
Skip, wyt ti yn gallu siarad Cymraig?

our family's have been here so long I had to google translate: And no, unfortunatley I cannot. I can speak a little Italian though.

Cool thread idea! I myself am mostly English. :wink: My surname, "Starbard", was coined when the branch of the family came to America very early on, in the 1600's, I think. The name "Starbard" was not the original name of the family- previously, it had either been Statford or Stafford, I can't with certainty remember which, to which name there was a royal connection. I don't know the extremely particular details, but there was some kind of scandal surrounding that name, and one of my descendants bearing the old name, who was the king's advisor, was beheaded. The latter resulted in the shaming and migration of the family to America, at which point they changed the name to "Starbard". :lol: :wink: Also in the family is the "Allen" name, as well as "Henshaw" (which bears Revolutionary War ties to the famous Colonel William Henshaw), and "Wentworth", which I believe also has some Royal connection.

Like Skip, I have some yankee blood. :wink: Colonel William Henshaw was much a friend to Washington. I have some Native American and French in me too. My Dad has a pretty direct relation to Massasoit of the Wampanoag people, who bore a son Metacom or Philip, later known as King Philip, who fought in "King Philip's War" against colonial settlers.

I think there is actually a town with the Statford/Stafford name somewhere...

Back