Who is keeping track.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
How many of you keep track of what your spend is on bikes you start building. Seems like some of these project start off as budget builds but soon take off to be a bit more.

I just sat down to tally up the spend on my current project and its turns out I could of have bought a new bike. Even though once I'm done it will be a new bike seems like cost go up pretty quick when you get carried away with excitement.

I do. I have an excel spreadsheet to track every part or fix and it's cost as well as the cost of shipping if there was any. It shows total shipping at the bottom, total bike cost and then combined costs.

I'm also about to start tracking sold stuff too.

Yep, I'm into the Jaguar for over $500 now and could have had a new bike too...but that's no fun! Mine is made in America!

Think it depends on if im building it to flip or to keep. If im building/ fixing to flip I keep an eye on what im spending and will let a bike sit for a while if i have an idea that im going to be getting a parts bike that will have the parts i need to keep my cost down

I don't keep track of every one, but I did with this Phantom I built from parts in '96. I got it finished for right around $750. It kind of surprised me that it went that high. All those parts, both used and new from Schwinn really added up quick. I think it was worth it. Gary

DSC03226.jpg

DSC03228.jpg

I keep track......and hide the spreadsheets from my wife... :roll: :mrgreen:

Actually, once I have a 'vision' of the bike, I put together a parts list with a budget for each part. Typically, each bike has 'the piece' that I build around. Typically, that is the most expensive part, so my budget makes me save enough on the rest of the bike to justify or afford 'the piece'.

P.S. i haven't exceeded the budget yet! :wink:

Cheers,
Dr. T

I rarely ever buy new parts I just refurbish and re-purpose the old. (cheaper that way) It is easy to get into a bike way over your head. I normally build on as slim of a budget as possible but I will throw cash at a bike if I like it. Most times for me the paint cost more than the rest of the bike. That's what rat rod is all about. I did however have about $75 into an Army bike build. It was a $5 Roadmaster mountain bike. :oops:

I didn't keep close track but on average I spend at least the price of a new Electra 3i Deluxe on any full restoration regardless of what its worth when I'm done.
It's still cheaper than cars! :lol:

I will second that, I have over $4500 in receipts on my VW, and that does not include time and swap meet parts.

i have never really kept spreadsheets or files on bike builds over the years. but for some reason i have a "rain man" type of ability to point at a part,on any bike, and remember exactly how much i paid for it including shipping. :eek:

If I kept track I'd likely quit building.
They say quit smoking and look how much money you save.

Quit building bikes and you can smoke three tmes as much, lol

I do this becaues I love it and I build for me. If I sell one, great.
I just try and watch what I spend and enjoy the build.

i don't really keep any kind of record, part because almost immediately i'm digging through my parts pile, so it's kind of hard to know what value to put on a part i have already. i've also never been a seller at this point, so i haven't worried about trying to figure weather i'm making any profit or loss or whatever.

i do mention the "no money point" in threads sometimes. the point where i've about gotten all i can from the stash and now i'm deciding what if any money i want to spend on finishing to get what i'm imagining i want to end up with. at that point, i'm halfway figuring up what i spend, but it takes me so long to finish, i probaly forget some things (and get things blurred, like if i come aross another parts bike that a project gets a piece from in the meantime). the number isn't that accurate.

Latest posts

Back