Who has had chrome plating done? Where and how much?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've never had anything chrome plated before. I had a custom sprocket made and have been thinking of chroming it, the problem is, I wouldn't know where to have it done and if I am given a price (or even 2 or 3) I wouldn't know if it was a good price or not.

So, how much should I pay for a sprocket to be chromed?

Yeah, I just got my first dose of sticker shock from an online quote:

"Hi Justin, if that is metal about 100.00, if it is plastic about 150.00 and
I am not positive it will work in our process unless you are sure it is ABS
plastic, turn time now is about 8 weeks, thanks Billl"

I guess without a local place where you could slip a worker a 6 pack to dunk your part in a few tanks, this is going to be out of my league.

There was a nasty old chrome shop here in our area that ran out of some broken down old warehouse area and that guy used to charge $75 to chrome plate a frame. The quality wasn't the greatest though.

I would expect $50-$100 to be in the ballpark for a good chrome job on a sprocket.

Welcome to the world of grown up money. ;)

EPA has driven all the legal small shops out of business. Try www.ogdenchrome.com , I have heard good things and they pay shipping both ways, and will return your part if you don't like their quote. They chrome 90% of what is sent to them. Still not cheap, but quantity allows them to be a little less than others. I believe they offer different levels of chrome, with show chrome being the highest and most expensive.

Otherwise, make friends in Mexico...

Next time have it cut from stainless and polish it yourself

On a similar note, do thy charge by the item, or by the batch? Obviously large items would be more, but would three or four sprockets cost the same as one? Might be worth doing a group deal.

feebay has plenty of sprockets that are freshly chromed and under $100. Chrome work is expensive to get done, not worth the hassle and 8 week turn around time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Proctors in MI. It wasn't cheap but they did a great job. "Cheap" and "Chrome" just don't go together. Gary
Wish I could say the same about Proctors..I sent all of my 38 Bluebird parts to them for replating.They did a good job on everything,EXCEPT the 2 parts I EXPLICITLY told them AND labeled when shipped that "These 2 parts are IRREPLACEABLE!!!"...and yet...They F%#@ed them up I "fixed" one myself ,but the other one is TOTAL junk now! :banghead:..theres NO recourse on parts you cant buy more of..I have to fabricate a new one somehow...

here ya go...

211874d1307812345-w204white2010s-c-class-w-pictures-chrome-spray-paint.jpg

kidding.

Wish I could say the same about Proctors..I sent all of my 38 Bluebird parts to them for replating.They did a good job on everything,EXCEPT the 2 parts I EXPLICITLY told them AND labeled when shipped that "These 2 parts are IRREPLACEABLE!!!"...and yet...They F%#@ed them up I "fixed" one myself ,but the other one is TOTAL junk now! :banghead:..theres NO recourse on parts you cant buy more of..I have to fabricate a new one somehow...

Any details on what exactly happened?

What you're paying for is not really the chrome, it is the labor in polishing.
Just about any shop can deliver parts back that are shiny, but a shop that can replate a fairly large flat piece without it reflecting like a side-show mirror is tough to find. Retaining edges, contours, text, shoulders, restoration of deeply pitted surfaces:
all can be done but it requires skill + time = $.

Last edited:
As I understand it, the process for rechrome is, strip, polish,copper plate, polish, nickel plate,polish,chrome plate, polish. Some shops shortcut the process and still charge alot of bucks. Regards, CTAC

Latest posts

Back