Which rear hub!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a newer Huffy ivolved with this build, plan on a stearmey archer or Shimano nexus internal 3 spd. Which is a more reliable set-up?
And do I have to use their respectful shifters? Would like to express a totally new type of shifter that Iv'e been developing concept on. Shift with a little more class and style, mounted elsewhere on the bike, would this be possible?
Thx, COSMO

the old shimano's weren't as beefy as the old S/A's the new S/A stuff is tops! I haven't had a nexus yet so I cant comment on those.. :roll:

Anything is possible. As long as you pull the shift cable the correct ammout. That is the only obstacle. I don't know where you can find that info. Maybe someone on this forum knows the linear or rotary distance you need. I think the distance changes as you go through the gears. It's probably different between manufacturers too. We always like to see pics of new things ;-)

The old sturmey archer hubs are about bulletproof, I had one that I got on a used bike from the 50's and it still worked like a dream. I towed my trailer with the bike all the time loaded with junk, plus my weight so I guess I torture tested it. rode it for 5 years and it never failed. Then I got the bright idea to sell it. :cry:

In time gentlemen, in time. I will post pics when all is well. Nah! Just trying to figure out some loose ends.... you get my drift. Don't want to end up the village idiot! This shifter (I hope!) will be a major showing for this forum. Time though is not on my side. But I believe that a new day is coming that will be promising for our culture. I want ordinary folks to see something new and say WOW, I didn't see that one coming, OR I want one NOW kind of thing. Just don't want to deliver till the kinks are all worked out. By the way, would you like to see something that you could bolt on OR a mount that is made into? Just need some opinions to help me with direction. As for me, I like something that bolts on so that more folks could enjoy the feelgood! Let me know, COSMO.

Back