Which Bike Rack is Right for me?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well, My next big purchase might be a new/used bike rack for the dynasty!

What do you guys think?
Trunk rack or roof rack?
The dynasty doesnt have a hitch and i dont plan on putting one on....

I personally like roof racks because i have less of a chance of damaging the bikes or the car...Has anyone ever had a roof rack that wasnt sold with the car?

Like a thule or Yakima rack?
Are they easy to use...Easy to put on/take off...all that mumbo jumbo

Both are serve their purpose. Trunk racks are inexpensive and remove easily when not in use. Roof racks are stable and allow many bikes on top. Keep your eye on CL as I see both regularly for Cheap.

Just becareful if you pull into a garage or low overhang with a roofrack.

dsc09718a.jpg

ouch that hurt!

trunk racks aren't much better, mine stratched the heck outta my paint.

Dingo,
I prefer a roof mount, either brand. While they are more expense, they are also easier on the car's paint and can be adapted for use with skis or a luggage container. You can also carry two bikes without them clanging against each other and scratching your flat back paint or ruining your perfectly preserved rusty patina :mrgreen:
If you ever have a bike with apehangers, you could also be saving your rear window. Oops forgot, your car has an actual trunk, not a hatch, nevermind. :oops:

Besides, they look more 'dedicated' than the trunk mount units! :wink:

Cheers!
Dr. T

If you go roof top just be extra careful putting the bikes up there after a ride. I've seen a lot of damage to both bikes and cars as a tired rider tries to left a bike above their head to get it on the rack.

I've had both. Right now I use a Saris Bones as it fits well on both my Scion Xb and my wifes' Chevy HHR.

Push come to shove I'd probably say I like a roof top better. But the Saris was less then $100 and works on both my vehicles. Heck most of the time my bike just goers in the back of the Xb.

I had a roof rack years ago. The doors leaked when it rained and I recall once the 2 bikes leaning way over to the side after going over a bump. Something gave or bent. I really can't recall any details of the rack.
I wonder how hard is it to heave a heavy old bike up on the roof?

One issue with rear mount not mentioned is the reality that some drivers aren't paying attention, or taking care of their car's brakes and suspension. :x Imagine having your car damaged and your bike destroyed at the same time. :cry:

deorman said:
One issue with rear mount not mentioned is the reality that some drivers aren't paying attention, or taking care of their cars brakes and suspension. :x Imagine having your car damaged and your bike destroyed at the same time. :cry:
Another reason i dont want one...im allways scared when im driving my dads car with a hitch rack.

There has been many times i have heard brakes screeching when im sitting at a light, that i pull forward and the cars miss me by inches...they make me mad when i turn around and its a girl diggin through her purse looking for something or some guy talking on the phone

TheFlyingDingo said:
Hmm...Could NOT have leaking on the poor old dynasty...

I could imagine the lifting being difficult, but the dynasty sits pretty low, Shouldnt be too bad
Does the Dynasty have rain gutters? If so do the roof racks mount to the gutters? That would make a difference I suppose.

cman said:
Both are serve their purpose. Trunk racks are inexpensive and remove easily when not in use. Roof racks are stable and allow many bikes on top. Keep your eye on CL as I see both regularly for Cheap.

Just becareful if you pull into a garage or low overhang with a roofrack.

dsc09718a.jpg
hahahahahahahahaha story of my life. :lol:

I've been using a Saris Bones 3 bike rack on my trunk for about 3 years now.

It goes on and off really easily and it seems to be really stable.

I paid $75 for mine on the CL and it was in great condition.

It's also really easy to put your bike on and remove from the rack.

Hasn't scratched the paint on my trunk either.

SARIS_Bones_Carrier_3.jpg

Around here in Dallas these things are everywhere.

It's a very well thought out and designed bike rack for sure.

So far I've been able to carry just about any style of bike....cruiser, road bike, BMX, etc.

They make an adapter bar that you can buy from Wal-Mart that allows you to carry a woman's bike.

Latest posts

Back