Where to get parts to build rat rod?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you rat rod builders do for parts? Do you source used parts or buy new parts? I am working on building my first rat rod and I am looking at a couple of frames on ebay and locally but I am not sure where to get everything else? I would like to get some new 3" balloon tires, new seat and handel bar grips.

thanks that helps i figured there were a lot of parts suppliers around just having a hard time navigating all of them on google.

I guess I lucked out.
My rat came pretty much complete (minus fenders, tank and bling), as a 1960s something Western Flyer space frame, originally yellow then bombed black, now showing both. The saddle is not pristine, but sevicable, and a spotty rusty patina on the chrome. It is straight, and once the mountain bike tires are replaced with some roadies and the bearings all cleaned and repacked it will be a runner. Im torn between leaving it half rat or spiffing it up, I will let time tell, though right now Im liking the look as a boardtracker rat.
I learned through my motorcycle years to get something mostly all there and be on the road sooner, then mod as you go, and as bits show up, otherwise the odd bit you need keeps it from happening for way too long. I did the same with my BSA and Raleigh Sports, mostly complete runners that need some love and on the road quick. Maybe at my age I dont have the patience for the potential long project anymore.

gcrank1 said:
I guess I lucked out.
My rat came pretty much complete (minus fenders, tank and bling), as a 1960s something Western Flyer space frame, originally yellow then bombed black, now showing both. The saddle is not pristine, but sevicable, and a spotty rusty patina on the chrome. It is straight, and once the mountain bike tires are replaced with some roadies and the bearings all cleaned and repacked it will be a runner. Im torn between leaving it half rat or spiffing it up, I will let time tell, though right now Im liking the look as a boardtracker rat.
I learned through my motorcycle years to get something mostly all there and be on the road sooner, then mod as you go, and as bits show up, otherwise the odd bit you need keeps it from happening for way too long. I did the same with my BSA and Raleigh Sports, mostly complete runners that need some love and on the road quick. Maybe at my age I dont have the patience for the potential long project anymore.

I know how that is, my junkyard find '58 Schwinn American and '54 Wasp have been 2 years in the making and just now have them in rolling order. :oops: But I build other bikes in the mean time to keep me busy. My problem is I buy a parts bike then don't want to part it out. Also just got a '56 Schwinn American that is now in pieces that will probably be another 2 year project.

Back