Where to find wide wheels and tires?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, Im looking for some of these amazing looking wheels and tires that some of yall have on your stretched bikes. I have found these...

http://fatbikes.com/rims.html

but they dont come with a hub or laced. So who is a good source here in the states to get these wheels?

My other question about these rims is, What would be a good coaster hub for these? I am assuming a regular 26" hub wont be wide enough for the chain to clear the tire...

As for tires, I have found the Felt Thick Brick tires for about $30. But are there any other options or prefered tires for a 4" wide rim?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

If you want to buy a complete wheel, I think it's gonna be a second-hand one. You could try Choppers US though, maybe they sell complete new wheels. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... lFk5fV97yw
As to the width, I use a standard SRAM 3-speed coasterhub in an 80 mm rim. And before the SRAM hub, I used a Shimano 3-sp. coasterhub.
So up to 80 mm, a standard hub shouldn't be a problem. As long as the tyre isn't wider than the rim.
I hope this info helps a bit. Good luck.

Surly sells some wide rims and hubs too. I have bought rims, hubs and wheels from Surly and ChoppersUSA and think highly of both companies products.

Awesome! Thanks guys. I think ChoppersUS has everything I need. Im gonna get the ring from FatBike and save a few bucks, but ChoppersUS has everything else that I need.

As for tires, Whats a budget recommended tire? Any options out there? And can I run a smaller tire and stretch it to the rim if I wanted?

Just an example: on my 80 mm rim,I run a Schwalbe Fat Frank 26x2.35. It used to be on my 1,5" rim,,before I bought the 80 mm.
It's even usable on a 100 mm rim. Only thing you have to pay attention to, is the innertube. In my case, I use a 3.00 motorcycle-tube.
It can handle the pressure and it's made of thicker rubber (stronger), so there's less chance you run flat.
I've got no experience with other tyrebrands. Someone else maybe?

Back