Wheelchair tyres

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody had any experience in using wheelchair tyres on bicycle rims

I found a load on-line in 26 1 3/8 and 24 13/8 sizes and thought they may be a cheaper alternative to buying the correct ones?

Thanks Sam

Check sizes :!: :!: :!: . I'm not sure about the 26" tyres, but I know that 24 x 1 3/8 wheelchair tyres will not fit on modern 24" bike wheels.

snfargle said:
Has anybody had any experience in using wheelchair tyres on bicycle rims

I found a load on-line in 26 1 3/8 and 24 13/8 sizes and thought they may be a cheaper alternative to buying the correct ones?

Thanks Sam

they are the size they are labeled, just like a bike tire. i wonder about the material though, they're built for long life and the non-marking characteristic, not for traction. the ones we sell seem hard and slick- they remind me of that weird yellow tire conti makes specifically for use on indoor trainers........

Hi. I run a pair of 26inch wheelchair tyres on an old Australian Malvern Star ladies bike, a roadster with a coaster brake. I didn't note the rim size but I'd say they were 1 1/4 inch. The tyres were a little stiff to put on but not unreasonably so. The old extra thick burst-proof tubes with woods valves were still ok so I retained them and you can ride the tyres home flat if you have to. It's a great old crusty beach cruiser.
I bought the tyres for the colour, more than anything. The bike is painted with grey paving paint with a white chainguard and because of the wheelchair tyres, I thought a medical theme was in order so a red cross on the chainguard completes "The Grey Nurse"

I ran 24x1 and 3/8" wheelchair tires on my klunker build, it was a tight fit on regular 24x1.5 rims but it worked. My only complaint is that my tires were super skinny.
bikes083-2.jpg

Back