What's Up With These Coins?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I get coins like these in my change every once in a while and I'm wondering what's going on. I've seen enough of them over the years to know it's not some one off thing. The one on the left has some sort of goober looking thing fused to it. A friend suggested that it was used somehow for taking drugs. Smoking crack or something?? :?

The second one is painted red...or was painted red...on both sides. I can tell it's really good quality paint to survive the beating a coin takes.

Can anyone solve the mystery? Gary

DSC05338.jpg

DSC05339.jpg

I've seen painted ones before. A local gas station painted up some red ones to mark them and give them to local customers to use in there air pump system to see how many locals used the air pumps compared to the tourist. Later he took the coined air out and just had free air.

The other Quarter looks like my Pug pooped on it. Wash your hands :roll:

GL

I had a 1966 quarter that I found under the seat of my truck that was painted red when it was repainted. Same color red too. mine wasn't both sides though.

ratina said:
The goo is probably gum from the ground. I've seen painted quarters a couple times. Could just be a kid that painted them.

Nope. I've seen too many. All the same. Gary

Maybe the flat black and white wore off :?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well according to http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 116AAKUzLK

It started with jute-boxes, the people who serviced them would give the bar or whatever a number of painted quarters to play the jute-box when things got slow, and each time they collected the money, they would keep the painted ones out to use again.

To be honest I know I read it before but I overlooked it when I posted that, too much coffee, not enough sleep. and lots on my mind.

OK, I'm surprised none of y'all have gotten this one yet. Back when I was a kid (I'm 34 now, so about 20-25 years ago) all Burger Kings opened a mini arcade in each restaurant. It was not a local thing, there was advertisement about it, I think they felt some pressure from Showbiz Pizza/Chuck E. Cheese. They had regular arcade games and some mini rides. The whole place worked on "tokens" so when you went to the token machine with your dollar you'd get out 4 tokens... you guessed it, quarters painted red. The arcade thing seem to last very long, but the quarters did.

Okay, Burger King and juke boxes on the red quarter...I'll buy that. But what about the other quarter with the goo fused to it? My friend thought it was something to do with illegal drug use but I've never heard that anywhere else. Has anyone else seen quarters like that in your change? Gary

B607 said:
Okay, Burger King and juke boxes on the red quarter...I'll buy that. But what about the other quarter with the goo fused to it? My friend thought it was something to do with illegal drug use but I've never heard that anywhere else. Has anyone else seen quarters like that in your change? Gary

I've found them that way before...under drink machines, just sitting in the goo from the drinks, also if they spend some time on the street in tar patches. I think you just have a cruddy quarter, no illegal drug uses.

Back