What's Plan B?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions in my previous post about breaking the quill bolt loose. Unfortunately it looks like I need Plan B now because it broke alright...the bolt sheared off way deep inside the head tube. Any suggestions how to get the stem out now? I did manage to soak the inner workings of the stem and head set through the bottom of the fork, but there is a problem there as well because I can't get the screw holding the fender to the fork to come loose. There is enough play between the fender and the bottom of the fork that I could spray PBB in there and it ran down the head tube. All of the hardware that screws onto the steerer tube and compresses the bearings is moving freely. I just need to get the stem out so I can remove the fork and fender all at once.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Cliff

at that point, i usually take a punch and try to knock the bolt down through the stem, sometimes i just end up sawing the stem off flush with the top nut just to get the fork out of the frame too in worst cases.

sounds like its pretty stuck though from your description and the bolt snapping off, alot of time that means the forks steer tube is in pretty bad shape too internally.

bighit said:
i missed the original thread. did you try coke in the steerer upside down? you can get a donor bolt and thread it in upside down and tap it out from the bottom.

Hey Bighit (I know you from the fat bikes forum on mtbr.com). Here's the original thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37129

Didn't try coke down the head tube, just PB Blaster sprayed in. It soaked down everything and came out the other end of the head tube.

I understand and will try your suggestion of using another bolt sent in from the bottom of the fork, But I won't be able to do that unless/until I can get the screw holding the fender on the fork to come loose. It's bathing in more PB Blaster right now.

if the stem is nothing special ? you can always flpi it upside down and hit it with a hammer or if yer tryin to avoid dammage and you have a good vise handy put the stem in the vise with some kind of barrier like a couple scrap piecses of wood or a rag and twist if more leverage is needed put a pipe between the fork or a 2x4..that should do it...

Put some heat to it Cliff. Heat + PB blaster + patience (as in days of heating and soaking cycles.......) has worked for me on bike parts that were way worse than your BFG. If you can drop the fork into a large bench vise (padding it) and put a piece of pipe through the stem for leverage, work it back and forth and maybe it will submit. Using a long punch is a good idea to try and break the wedge free.

When are you going to share those photos!

can you drill out the screw holding the fender on? its gotta come off sooner or later anyhow, and if its any good you dont wanna have it in your way to get damaged. i know that would ruin my day! then you can try the bolt -thru -the-bottom-trick.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll be taking the Dremel and drill to a few other small screws that have heads that are really corroded and seem on the verge of splitting under the screwdriver torque. If I can't get the larger screw holding the fender to the fork to budge this weekend, I'll be cutting it so I can get the fender out of the way and go to work on the steerer tube.

Updates to follow, no doubt.

Cliff

I've had good luck with just soaking it loose, sometimes it takes a while. I've used PB blaster, drain opener, If it looks like the bike has been re-painted and it's stuck from that brake flid works great. Actually one thing that really works good to get down in there if you have any is a little Z-max and a BIG pipe wrench. I just put the fork over my fence and brace the bike and the pipe wrench against myself then muscle it over. If that don't work get a big pipe and slide it over the pipe wrench and try again, So far I haven't broken the fence or the pipe wrench. broke off a few stems but if that happens then it's hammer and chisel time and you're not getting the stem out any other way.

bighit said:
Cliff said:
bighit said:
i missed the original thread. did you try coke in the steerer upside down? you can get a donor bolt and thread it in upside down and tap it out from the bottom.

Hey Bighit (I know you from the fat bikes forum on mtbr.com).

Oh boy worlds colliding. Same name over there?

I've been a serious lurker over there. Did a lot of reading and watching the fat bike video clips, but I don't think I ever posted. Had a bit of question and anwer PM email with coastalkid and others, and I also recognize tscheezy from the Turner board (I built mine up a couple of years ago). Was heavily considering building up a 9 Zero 7 soon, but right about the same time I discovered RRB.com via your web site (thanks) and the DIY/repurpose/custom/fun virus took over. I found a really sweet '52 BFG-Schwinn Hornet locally and now...well I guess now you're up to date :). I like riding and working on bikes, and I'm having fun with this project. That's why we're all here from what I can.

Back