What's a good solvent?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fahrrad said:
dougfisk said:
Gasoline is nearly as good as lacquer thinner at a fraction of the cost. People say it is flammable, but I haven't caught fire yet. The odor is unpleasant though.

Now days that fractions is becoming much larger. Gas = $3.30/gal, Laquer thiner, = $6/gal
I buy mine 5 gal at a time, it is cheaper that way. :mrgreen:

Wow, thanks for the tip. I am paying $15 a gallon buying it 1 gallon at a time! :shock: Are you buying at an auto paints store?

Nope, but you can. I buy mine at the Pate Swap meet. If there is a big swap meet near you that has auto parts and new stuff, you will probably find a guy selling paint supplies.

kerosene and mineral spirits both leave a film,that needs removed prior to paint. Acetone is what to use before paint. Even alcoholwill clean up the film, but acetone is easy to buy. Cheaper than most wax and grease removers for the auto industry. Cleans tar from your interior carpets,too.

I got Kerosene and Simple Green. I've used the Kerosene to soak parts in after breaking them down, and I've used SG to clean up a bike prior to selling it. By the way, that 'Root Beer' smell attracts flies. :lol:

I'm working on a Trike for my daughter right now. I'll have to pick up some Acetone to clean it off prior to spraying it.

Back