What was your first ooops!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I remember being able to get into my dads tool cabinet he had air tools,spray paint,all kinds of good toxic chemicals. I decided I was going to fix my flat tire on my yellow Schwinn with tractor grip tires (I would love to find some of those)so I put the patch on and put the wheel back on go for the test ride....and of course ya have to pop a wheelie to be sure...then I came to the realization I forgot to tighten the front wheel....it would have been a great utoob vid but I learned.

lol dude that's hilarious, gotta hurt though.

I've had many bicycle oopsies, but one of my first real bad ones is when I was about 3 years old and rode my bike into the back of a truck. My head hit the hitch while my bicycle slid under the truck lol.

its pretty ovious. snapped in half i managed to jettison before it twisted up on a concrete bench thats what i get for not double checking my welds
choppers002.jpg

Brand new Kent 3-speed banana seat bike, circa 1976, I'm maybe 7 years old. First bike with hand brakes. Roll up to the neighbor on the sidewalk to show him how fast I can stop with my new fancy bike, grab the front one and OOOPS... I should have gone RIGHT over the bars. I don't remember now if he actually caught me or just managed to grab the bars and push so the back end came back down, but, well, oops.

--rick

I had a little 20'' Huffy bmx bike, and I decided to leave it in the front yard while I went and played in the back yard, an hour later my bikes was gone!!
My parents later told me, "I told you, dont leave your bike out or it'll get stolen!"
Luckily my dad saw my bike and stuck it in the garage for a day or two to teach me a lesson!
Now I leave my bikes in the house!!

4 years old- speeding down a paved slope- hit a sandy patch and the bike went sideways. I landed halfway up a small tree. Ouch. My dad wanted me to do it again so he could video tape it. He wasn't kidding.
-nuts n' bolts

It took me a minute to think of this.. I was about 7 or 8.. on a banana seat Pierce Arrow. I was following my friend on his bike and I thought It would be funny if I rammed my front wheel dead on with his back wheel..Lets just say I was eating pavement while my friend just continued to ride..

Back in the early 80's my buddies and I made the mistake of playing in a construction site and was jumping our bikes out of a partially built house. The handlebars off of my Superchief bannana seat bike bought at Western Auto clipped a stud, I flipped sideways the entire 4 foot drop to the ground, the bike fell on top of me. As I was pushing the bike off of me, the stud fell and hit me in the head. Needless to say, I walked home pushing the bike because I was feeling too loopy to ride it. I'm feeling much better now though. 8)

my first BAD accident was when I was rockin like a ....14 inch white/blue training wheels and all bike. Just a walmart special. Couldn't have been oh maybe pre k or kindergarten. Dad said "DO NOT GO UP THAT HILL AND RIDE DOWN GRANT!" well, me being me i went up the danged hill and tried my hardest to ride down. Now, the training wheels were off by this time. Got goin, movin movin movin movin....front wheel falls off, I eat pavement, and man what a day that was.

Bring us back up to 98 or 99. Just got a HARO Revo for christmas, drizzling out, pegs front and back, bad day for a nice bike. Went down the road having a "peg race". one foot on the pegs at all times and only one rotation per pedal kick. Well, I had just kicked it, stepped back, put my weight on my feet and missed the peg!!!! Ate the seat, jammed my pinky, ate concrete again, and broke my two front teeth off! ALL ON CHRISTMAS DAY!

this wasnt my first oops but it is the one i will never forget .....

a hot summer day mid august 1989 .. my little brother had just pulled the bow off of his brand new 15 speed road bike...
it was a deep dark blue, lots a chrome semi high end and just screaming to be rode ... since it was his B-day and he had a bunch of other 12 year olds over i asked if i could ride it over to my uncles house to spend the night there.... if he refused i could simply stay and ruin the party .. so he eagerly said yes... with a glint of evil in my eyes i hopped on and headed out .. unaware that my chaep father who spent so much money on this thing chose to assemble it himself to save a few bucks...

now to get to my uncles you ran down a long steep hill on a two lane road about a mile and there you were ... i pushed the light weight as hard as my 15 year old lungs could go, raising the speed _ o up near 20 miles per as i began the down hill run i feverously watched the needle climb highe,r leaning forward and down to reduce the wind and soon i ran out of gears .. topping the speed - o out over 35 mph... the biike began to shake and wobble as the air screamed past my unprotected ears wild long hair whipping my eyes i shot to the left lane to pass traffic .. i will never forget the feeling the power speed exhileration and freedom... OH thats not good .. like time had slowed to a mere stop i watched as the right hand brake lever began to move ... then as the nut backed of it popped off the bars floated freely for a moment in the air .... at this time i began to cry .. then it swung right into the front wheel spokes ... as i flew air born i really began to really really fear pavement ....

When i woke up there was a few people gathered around making sure i was not dead .... i was covered in road rash from head to toe .. blood and dirt in my mouth when i heard a man tell me as tears ran down my face how lucky i was that he hadnt ran me over, but my bike wasnt so lucky ..... well my little brothers bike wasnt... to this day 19 years later i stil have scars .....not from the road rash but the beating my dad gave me for what i did to that bike ..

frame was cracked at the head tube rear triangle ran over forks folded and needless to say the wheels didnt fare well either ...

hmm i think i stil owe him a bike ...lol

That's a great story. 8) I can't imagine seeing my handle bars fall off, and then seeing it get stuck in the spokes, waiting for it to hit the fork. Mannn that's gotta kill.

Best i can recall, i was about 3 or 4,1965/66 my mom let me ride my tricycle on the front porch.
Was a sunny summer day and i was having a blast untill i turned left.
my mom bolted to the door after hearing the "CRASH" of my bike hiting the pavment.
of course i was crying, the trikes forks were bent and i never rode on the porch again.

Did i mention we lived on the second floor of an apartment building!!!!and the stairs went straight the whole way!

Gold Street Customs said:
I remember being able to get into my dads tool cabinet he had air tools,spray paint,all kinds of good toxic chemicals. I decided I was going to fix my flat tire on my yellow Schwinn with tractor grip tires (I would love to find some of those)so I put the patch on and put the wheel back on go for the test ride....and of course ya have to pop a wheelie to be sure...then I came to the realization I forgot to tighten the front wheel....it would have been a great utoob vid but I learned.
Dude, I've got a 26" 1 3/4 S-7 tractor on a rim that doesn't look bad, some minor cracking. I'd trade for another old Schwinn tire, just to have one to put back on.

bigredddaddy said:
Gold Street Customs said:
Dude, I've got a 26" 1 3/4 S-7 tractor on a rim that doesn't look bad, some minor cracking. I'd trade for another old Schwinn tire, just to have one to put back on.
Unfortunately the ones I had were 20 inch it seemed like they were raised white letters but that was many years ago cant say for sure.

Did they say 4-4-2 on them as well? I know a guy that has a set but they'er not road worthy. Still cool to see them though. I wanted them 'cuz of the 442, I'm a rocket man :mrgreen: If you want them, they could be had cheep.

I realize I probably should have protected my friend's privacy. I have withdrawn the story about his bicycle accident. To sum it up: it was bloody and painful, but he had a sense of humor about it.

bigredddaddy said:
Did they say 4-4-2 on them as well? I know a guy that has a set but they'er not road worthy. Still cool to see them though. I wanted them 'cuz of the 442, I'm a rocket man :mrgreen: If you want them, they could be had cheep.
Check out other talk in this site I have my old non 442 on page 16 in show your rides.

Latest posts

Back