What to lookout for

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
North Carolina ,small town called Rockwell
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to yard sales every weekend looking for just about anything but bikes are what I'm really looking for, and I always run across these BMX bikes there a dime a dozen so I don't pay a lot of attention to them. I feel like I have missed out on some good bikes just because I don't really know what's rare or just another Wal-mart bike I need some help and pictures of some of these bikes so I want pass up a good deal, sometimes these bikes are cheap as low as $10 bucks ok thanks guys for any info,

model-a,chris

The big things are the year, and the brand. It's really a lot of detail to go into, to break it all down. You need to be able to tell the difference of an 80s mongoose and a walmart mongoose.

well , 10$ is so cheap , almost any thing with any style would make you a profit if you part it out and sell on the interweb ... just make a research before parting to make sure you don't ruin a original rare classic ;) i don't know much , but chrome rims/ thin tubing / chrome frame/ matching color grips,tires,seat,handlebar and frame paddings are indications of retro/vintage bmx in my book
i think when you go vintage in bmx , its more about the look than the performance honestly , if you got the looks , it will sell

I know I passed on a cool looking grey BMX last fall @ a swap for $10. Later when I tinkered with my winter build off bike I remembered the hefty duty crank / sprocket and wish I woulda bought it just for that, LOL.

We yard sale about 2 Saturdays a month and its very rare to see ANY bicycles at a yard sale. Once in a blue moon you may see a little kids Walmart bike but thats about it. I keep a wanted ad for bikes running every week in our local free pennysaver paper. Havent picked up a bike from the ad in 2 months.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Annodized components

Google Image search for "vintage bmx" should also give you a pretty good idea.

Usually, the reflectors on the wheels and the stem / seat post, will give a newer bikes age away at a glance. Most casual hunters will look for tanks and springer forks and Schwinn anything. Really knowing what you are looking at just requires research, there are lots of reproductions bikes and parts out there. So, if you are looking for bikes to make money on, you will have to know whats rare and desirable.

A Walmart bike for free may not even be a good deal. Unless you have a great market for kids bikes, treat any late model Chinese BMX as you would any other Walmart kids bike.

The last one I got cost the new owner $50 in parts to make it ridable again....and the one I am making into a winter beater will be close to that. Trigger shifters aren't cheep I have found out.

And don't let the Pacific Schwinns fool you either.. Chinese bargains as well. Just because it has the Schwinn oval headbadge means little these days.

I'm not a schwinn guy,but if I see one I won't buy it unless the headbadge says Chicago.

I think that the OP said that he sees bmx bikes that he pays no attention to, when he is looking for bikes at yard sales. If I am the one confused, please pay no attention to my earlier post about tanks and springers and Schwinn stuff.

Im in the opposite position to you, i know bmx's but nothin about road bikes and the likes, i scored a $500 bmx off the side of the road but left a peugot road bike with campag gear all over it as i had no idea at the time.

A few pointers id say when lookin for quality is
-chainguards and reflectors usualy mean cheapo
-look for branded components with country of origin stamped, usually made in usa or japan equals high end
-weld quality is also another, lumpy mig welds equal low end but neat flat and thin tig welds are mostly good quality if pre 85ish, after that alot of taiwanese built frames started tig welding. But having said that alot of early 90's late 80's haros and the like were taiwanese built but still fetch good coin

Not a 100% rule, but typically the vintage, high-dollar vintage BMX bikes have smallish tube construction, whereas most newer cheapo BMX bikes have big tubes on them, like 2" diameter main tubes, or more. Some of the higher priced, newer BMX bikes are designed like that too, but you rarely see them at garage sales. There are exceptions of course, but if you see a Mongoose or Diamondback with little main tubes like an inch in diameter or less, it may be worth something, if you see the same brands with 2" tubes it is probably not desirable.

Beyond that, spend some time browsing around bmxmuseum.com and figuring out what's what.

Bottom line, a $10 bike is almost always worth $10, so if you have the room, buy them all, then research them. It usually only takes a few minutes on Google to see what's what.

Good quality BMX don't have kickstand or a plate to mount one.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

3 piece cranks are a big indicator if the bmx is of higher quality. Also parts that are cast or stamped with known brands.

Anything from the 80s is worth $10 currently.

I go to yard sales every weekend looking for just about anything but bikes are what I'm really looking for, and I always run across these BMX bikes there a dime a dozen so I don't pay a lot of attention to them. I feel like I have missed out on some good bikes just because I don't really know what's rare or just another Wal-mart bike I need some help and pictures of some of these bikes so I want pass up a good deal, sometimes these bikes are cheap as low as $10 bucks ok thanks guys for any info,

model-a,chris
What's up Chris?, Depends on what your main goal is. Do you want to strip or flip cheap bikes (which is a lot of work for little money) or are you looking for a particular type of bike, ( a cool balloon tire, muscle, klunker, 60's middleweight) Focus on what you really want to find, research it, know what your looking for. If you need any help, let me know man, we're practically neighbors. Have a good one! If you see one of these, buy it!
IMG_20140602_180127.jpg

Last edited:
It it says Hutch or Cook Bros., slit the person's throat and take it. They are worth their weight in gold!

That's the one thing BMX that I've learned from this site.
So does that mean my old elf is sitting in my mom's garage for nothing?

Latest posts

Back