What to expect at a bike show?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys, I hate to admit it, but I have never been to a bicycle show. I'd like to go and take a couple of bikes but I really don't know what to expect. My bikes are far from perfect, but I think they are worth letting people see.

Have you ever shown a bicycle? Did you have a display or just set it up and leave it? Do people try to touch them? How do I know they won't get damaged?

I know I'm probably over=thinking this, but I am full of questions about this.

Thanks, Rg

I usually bring my bikes and set them up to display without entering them in the show. I find that makes the day a lot more fun and Im free to just enjoy all the nice bikes and talk to the cool people that own the bikes without any drama...and trust me there will be drama!
-Brian

Bri-in-RI said:
I usually bring my bikes and set them up to display without entering them in the show. I find that makes the day a lot more fun and Im free to just enjoy all the nice bikes and talk to the cool people that own the bikes without any drama...and trust me there will be drama!
-Brian

Thanks Brian. I'll have to ask if that is an option. The show is inside and that may require them to be registered.

I definitely don't want any drama

Rg

If your worried bout folks touching them rope them off. It also kinda stops them from walking in between them. (You would be amazed what I've seen). Shows are fun you get to see friends that you don't normally and make new connects

raggedjim said:
Hey guys, I hate to admit it, but I have never been to a bicycle show. I'd like to go and take a couple of bikes but I really don't know what to expect. My bikes are far from perfect, but I think they are worth letting people see.

Have you ever shown a bicycle? Did you have a display or just set it up and leave it? Do people try to touch them? How do I know they won't get damaged?

Thanks, Rg

Which one you going to? Indy is Jan 26. Its an awesome show. I would take a bike or two and enter it. Its a blast to enter bikes and see how they compare to the rest. Also fun to listen to others comment on the bikes. I rarely see drama other than the typical sore loser, but its fun to watch someone who takes it so serious blow a gasket! Some guys must live for this stuff! :lol:

If you go to Indy, let me know. Ill meet you over there. I am thinking about taking a few bikes to sell.

Terry66 said:
raggedjim said:

Thanks, Rg

Which one you going to? Indy is Jan 26. Its an awesome show. I would take a bike or two and enter it. Its a blast to enter bikes and see how they compare to the rest. Also fun to listen to others comment on the bikes. I rarely see drama other than the typical sore loser, but its fun to watch someone who takes it so serious blow a gasket! Some guys must live for this stuff! :lol:

If you go to Indy, let me know. Ill meet you over there. I am thinking about taking a few bikes to sell.

It's not in Indy (I'll have to check into that one). It's the Smoopy's show on Jan 5th, he has a thread on here somewhere.

Rg

I hope to be able to go one day. I've never even heard of one close to us.

I'll let ya know how it is after we attend the 2013 Northeast Rod & Custom show in Philly. They never had a bicycle category until i suggested it to the organzer. It's high time kustom bikes get their due, at least on the East Coast.

We've done less organized shows and it's a lot of fun. You see 2 or 3 categories like Best in Show, Best rat, Best Kustom, etc.

It's more about the comradederie among fellow bikers than the winning.

spinman said:
I'll let ya know how it is after we attend the 2013 Northeast Rod & Custom show in Philly. They never had a bicycle category until i suggested it to the organzer. It's high time kustom bikes get their due, at least on the East Coast.

We've done less organized shows and it's a lot of fun. You see 2 or 3 categories like Best in Show, Best rat, Best Kustom, etc.

I hope this is the case, I'm thinking about not bringing a bike to my first one just to get a feel for what goes on. Hope your Philly show goes well, Rg

raggedjim said:
spinman said:

I hope this is the case, I'm thinking about not bringing a bike to my first one just to get a feel for what goes on. Hope your Philly show goes well, Rg

Indy Jan26. It is really an awesome show. I would highly recommend it. I saw the Smoopys thing and thought about that one too, but I have too much going on.

Took three bikes to the Starbird - Devlin rod and custom show this year for the first time. Went pretty smooth but no trophy.
y3e9yqun.jpg
adapy7y9.jpg
2epymeda.jpg

The bikes were displayed in the balcony with cars on main floor, just a few are pictured in next photo.
ysygasy4.jpg
pu6e6u8y.jpg

I think its all about the attitude , if your bringing a bike to win shows and your going to be all fussy about who's breathing the the same oxygen around your bike. That sounds like alot of stress to me, but it if your entering for fun and just enjoy talking with people ,thats how I roll, its supposed to be fun, and the few shows I have been too were a blast.

I've been to two shows besides the "Midwest Bike Fest". At the Starbird/Devlin show we had our bikes roped off, but at the next one, Park City Chill, we just had them lined up with no barriers. We had no problems at either show. I personally think people can see the bikes better without any barriers. None of mine are so pristine that I would be really upset it one fell over, happens to me all the time. :lol: :lol: Besides there is always one of our group there & we all kind of watch out for each other's stuff. Just my two cents worth, which is worth about a half a cent these days! :mrgreen:

I attend a few shows in Reidsville and Eden, NC, one in Charlotte (Duncan, let us know when), and I host one here in Mount Airy, NC. So far haven't seen any drama. Adults will generally know not to touch what doesn't belong to them. Kids you really have to watch. They have a way of just touching a bike and sending it straight on its side. Indoor shows seem to be a more stable environment, since folks are less likely to start riding around inside. I usually don't enter in the judging either.As stated above, it gives you more time to walk around and talk, catch up, ride, eat, whatever. I don't want to have to babysit my bikes. But then again, most of my bikes either aren't too fragile, or a scratch or two won't break my heart, or they are too tall for anyone else to get on.

I've been to a few shows now, and it's a blast! I brought 4 bikes once, and paid the small fee to enter them all, even though I didn't expect to win anything. I just love talking shop with other builders as we admire each other's work. I even won a couple of trophies!

I've gone to shows without bringing anything, and it just wasn't as fun. I didn't have any examples of my work when I was chatting with others.

deven_science said:
I've been to a few shows now, and it's a blast! I brought 4 bikes once, and paid the small fee to enter them all, even though I didn't expect to win anything. I just love talking shop with other builders as we admire each other's work. I even won a couple of trophies!

I've gone to shows without bringing anything, and it just wasn't as fun. I didn't have any examples of my work when I was chatting with others.

That is exactly what makes it fun. You get to see local guys/gals that are into the same thing you are. Great place to chat, steal ideas, solve world problems etc.!

I've been to a few shows and helped host a couple too.

The pride and attention to details with the show bikes is a favorite of mine but, the swap/sale areas get most of my attention.

It always seems that the shows coincide with a build I'm working on, so I typically go in with a shopping list (not kidding, I actually make a list).

However, by FAR is just hanging out with guys/gals I meet and talkin' bikes and life.

Can't wait until next Cycology Cabin Fever show in April, that remind me, where'd I put my list?

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back