What to do?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this Schwinn Flying Star and discovered it had been painted. The original finish is underneath, but I don't know how bad it is. How far should I go to restore this? If I strip the paint I am concerned I will damage the finish underneath. Advice please.
flyingstar2.jpg
flyingstar1.jpg
flyingstar3.jpg

That little girls bike looks just fine like that. I wouldn't do a thing to it. It looks to me like the adjustable cone on the headset is on upside down, though. Not positive but you need to look at it. Remove the neck and bars, remove the top nut, then remove the adjustable cone and look and see if it isn't upside down. Gary

Good eye there to catch that. Schwinn's adjustable nut serves as the bearing race. I wonder if they stuck a regular race in there so it would steer properly, or it's just loose.

I agree that repaint looks good, especially with the pinstripes.

Thanks, I am going to start tearing it down this week. I am thinking about this saddle. With some cork grips.
cardiff_wessex_brwn550.jpg

Overkill?

I'd put a nice spring seat on it , something closer to correct for that bike, and some plain schwinn approved grips. Save the $$ saddles and grips for a more vintage build. But that's just me.

Back