What to do with this collegiate?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up and then cleaned up (a lot) this nice 67 schwinn collegiate at goodwilly for 9.99! I want to keep it a 5 speed, but I'm looking for ideas to rat it out a bit..........any suggestions?
DSC00358.jpg

Too nice condition to rat, I'd say flip it and buy another that nature has already ratted for you. Something with some patina.

Our Goodwills never have anything besides kid's bikes.

I would ride it out as is. I've realized sometimes riding is the best advertisement for a bike. Someone will see you on it and reminisce about how they wanted that bike when it came out and there you have your sale.

Nice!

I agree with everyone else! Those are worth a bit on craigslist, especially if you live near a college or in a college town. They love them. And they are paying what Ratrod said! Then, get ya an old cantilever frame bike and start from there. Like Outskirts said, something with some natural rat and patina to. I too wish our Goodwill sold bikes like that. I would have broke my leg getting it out the door and home. Look on ebay to see what any older schwinns are selling for. You can't touch them. Flip that dude! :wink: Probably could sell it to a collector pretty easy in that condition.

matco said:
I recently picked up and then cleaned up (a lot) this nice 67 schwinn collegiate at goodwilly for 9.99! I want to keep it a 5 speed, but I'm looking for ideas to rat it out a bit..........any suggestions?
DSC00358.jpg
If it fits you and you like it, stick the sheet metal and the seat and maybe the bar in the closet, and ride, you can always flip it later during season. :mrgreen:

I'm already riding this too

DSC00356.jpg

flipping the collegiate sounds like a plan after I've enjoyed it for the spring and summer or so. It took some doing to convince the missus that
having 3 bikes was an ok thing in our one car garage, so I kinda want to hold on to this one for a while if you married folk know what I mean.
It is a cool bike that actually fits my standover, unlike its evil crotch killa predecessor

DSC01538.jpg

which has since been donated to the omaha community bike shop. Maybe it isn't a good "rat" candidate, but it could be made a lot cooler by losing some of its howdy doodiness........

apparently you havent been married long enough to know how to be sneaky! :lol:

masterpoop63 said:
only 3... :roll: im at 21 and im only 14 man.you need a u-store it
you're a funny kid!! i luv that!!

matco said:
I'm already riding this too

DSC00356.jpg

flipping the collegiate sounds like a plan after I've enjoyed it for the spring and summer or so. It took some doing to convince the missus that
having 3 bikes was an ok thing in our one car garage, so I kinda want to hold on to this one for a while if you married folk know what I mean.
It is a cool bike that actually fits my standover, unlike its evil crotch killa predecessor

DSC01538.jpg

which has since been donated to the omaha community bike shop. Maybe it isn't a good "rat" candidate, but it could be made a lot cooler by losing some of its howdy doodiness........
i have 3 things to say;
#1 i think, just me now,the howdy doodiness is what makes that bike cool
#2 @ 3 bikes i'd say keep it and build up your collection your to a good start as it is, but first build a shed!!!
and #3 nice bikes

My wife doesn't have a key to the garage.

A few weeks ago the battery went dead on her car one morning while she was on her way to work.
I had to dig my battery charger out of the back of my garage.
This meant pulling out eight or nine bikes to do so.
She came out when she heard her car start and saw it surrounded by bikes she didn't have a clue I owned.
She laughed and asked "how many bikes do you need?" and drove to work.
I love her too much to tell her it's a stupid question.
Jeff

Latest posts

Back