what the heck is this rim?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saw this on ebay just now. anyone know what it is? seems that they don't know either.
c241f6d4-39e6-4ab4-a5c9-940ad6f56bac_zps25c8ad94.jpg

Looks like a 20'' rim and a 26'' rims with a bunch of car valve springs around the outside.
Sometimes people get bored.

Interesting that he had a auction on this wheel that ended a month ago.... now it is relisted.

photo2-5.jpg

frameteam2003 said:
wonder if it works?

Works? It's a wheel, it should probably still spin around in a circle.

Otherwise, it would reduce your effectiveness of your pedaling. At high speeds it would wobble side to side and up and down feeling generally spooky, and on cornering it would rub the rim and you would crash.

Wheels are suspended by the tires.

Back in the early eighties I had a bud who was older and a pro BMXer, he "tested," prototype wheels like these for......Takara I think, or Slingshot. Anyway just like "super sucker," tires he spun them apart! Not flying down the road, taking off they un-glued!
Now mind you "Cam," and "Tommy Brackens," both could strip plastic sprockets with a single crank, so for normal people they'd most likely work.

B607 said:
yoothgeye said:
Wheels are suspended by the tires.

Wheels are suspended by the spokes. Right? Gary

The spokes are part of the wheels, the wheel unit.

I've always read that tires are part of the suspension, and in the case of a "mag" type wheel, the tire is all you got. Spokes may move some, but I think they are suppose to stay rigid.

In suspended vehicles, the entire wheel, tire included is considered "unsprung" weight, and lighter components, (rims, tires, spokes, etc.) are used to allow quicker reaction and re-settling. In the example shown, the spokes and hubs have been removed from the unsprung weight category, but the added flex in the wheel and additional overall weight would seem to me to put this in the "useless gadget" category. :|

That bike needs a soft ride stem, a suspension seatpost, a long spring hairpin saddle, and a springer fork. Then maybe, just maybe it would be a smooth ride. :lol:

cman said:
Interesting that he had a auction on this wheel that ended a month ago.... now it is relisted.

photo2-5.jpg

Back