What size should I use?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1968 Murray cruiser frame being fixed up and I was doing fine until it came to the fitting of the rear wheel. The tire (26x2.125) rubs the frame when it spins, and I would like to know what size I might try to relieve the issue. I'm thinking 2 or 3 sizes down should work, but not sure. I would also like to know if a 700c or 650c wheel would fit a fork made for a 26 inch.

Try a 26 2.0 tire, a 650 is a skinny tire, kinda like the 26 1 3/8 tire, I have a set on a older Raleigh 10 speed mountain bike.

I had the same problem with my middleweight cruiser I went with a 1.75 all the way around an sanded the tread off the front maybe these pics help you figure out what you want
080502_172501.jpg

1225120821.jpg

That 1.75 looks just right, so maybe I'll try that. Thanks for the info.

Glad to help I wanted skinny on the front but couldn't find 1.25 so I took the belt sander to it an took all the tread off it looks small an I like the smooth tire out front rides great

Try adding a half or full link to ur chain. It will move tire back and mite give u the space.
Ive got a late 50's rollfast middle weight and a 26x2.125 fits now.

Back