What size ape hangers?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi gang. I'm waiting on my first rat in years and even though I haven't gotten it yet, I'm planning out the mods.
I'm pretty sure I want to put some ape hangers on it. I know there's a whole thread for showing off your apes, but it's mostly just the bikes with no riders. So, where do you like them? Shoulder height? Lower?

Can we see some pics with riders and how tall you like them?

Ideally they should be just below shoulder level. If they are too high then your hands can become numb as blood has a hard time reaching your hands.

Don't ask me how I know.

Mine are 13.5" and they are perfect for me.

Remember, you can generally play with the height using your stem, so there's always that. As for "which apes", I'd say Wald 8069.... 13" rise, 24.5" wide, made in Kentucky, cheap n chrome and purely awesome. Wald also makes a few other apes, in smaller sizes....

Do what feels right, apes are for cruising, if you find yourself in need of quick control, slide your hands down the bars or just grab them close to the stem... ask how I know.

SAM_0923.jpg

Personally I like the profile of 16" apes while using a quil stem gives me. Right at shoulder hight.

uby6ymyq.jpg

Great textbook answer, but Gecko is wanting these bars to go on Schwackardson that he is buying from me so new and shiny may not be the way to go.
Here's a picture of the bike he is getting to help with everyone's suggestions:
Fair enough, and that's a rad bike. Totally makes sense to avoid new'n'shiny, but let's consider this: Wald has been making apes since Seamus was a pup. (I have no idea what that means, exactly, but my Granpa used to say it, and it meant "WBITD" to him, and he was from WBITD.) Anyway, there's a very good chance, probably >50%, that any crusty/rusty apes one finds will be Wald bars anyway.

CeeBee and chepe13, that's just what I'm looking for.

Yoothgeye, just wow.

Thanks all for the input.

Sorry, these are 18" I'm only 5'"9 but really long armed, sob they fit perfect.

i ran these for years. i think they were 19 to 23 inch tall. never had any problems with them and i'm on the short side. i put on a few hundred miles on these bars.

Sweet! Thanks guys. The bike should be here tomorrow. One I get it set up, the hunt will stay in earnest. I'll probably be looking for something in the 15" to 16" range if anyone has some with a nice patina going on....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

you can make our own patina. take painted bars and strip the paint off and heat the bars up but not enough the make them soft and spray the hot metal with salt water or lemon juice and you will get instant rust. then clear coat them with satin or flat clear coat so it does not rub off.

Back