What Should the Next Project Bike Be? Found an Elgin!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have the disease! I'm having so much fun working on and restoring my old Schwinn Jaguar, I often find myself searching the sale sites for the next cool find.

What should I keep my eye out for? I'm thinking of another Schwinn, possibly a Phantom or a Hornet.

What would be a very cool project bike?

Re: What Should the Next Project Bike Be?

I dunno...but you are showing signs of the desease we call Bike Collecting.

Dont be afraid,there is no cure for it.

My name is Don and Im a Bikeaholic.

and if you dont have any "non schwinns" you'll need to find few.. :lol:

I'd say go with whatever shows up locally...

My "collecting disease" is in it's VERY early stages. I found a an Electra Straight 8 on craigslist that needed a cleaning (did that), then found a 50's CWC Road Master that needed a lot (doing that), and then I found a 68 Schwinn frame that is getting blasted so I can start on it.

I think it's terminal.

Dude! I love Schwinn bikes! Phantoms are really expensive bikes though... Id do a stingray! A 1967 stingray with a 3 spped stik shift! that would be awesome!

What do you guys think about an Elgin? If I can get my hands on any frames or parts.

Elgins rock man. I have to go with scrumblero on this one. Branch out a little. I've done that Schwinn thing (and still do if I find the right bike). But my latest built was a Worksman and I'm going to start a skiptooth Roadmaster soon. Or maybe a prewar...Schwinn.

I'd grab whatever you find cheap, no matter what it is as long as the price is right. That's how I found my Hawthorne, It was $5 at a yard sale and I couldn't say no to it. My Schwinn American and Wasp ($8 for both at the scrapyard) My girlfriend's like new Huffy beach cruiser ($15 at salvation Army) And a whole mess of bikes from the local junkers at $10 a truck load.

My Hawthorne I know I could get 10 times what I paid on craigslist without doing a thing to it. I also bought a headlight for it for a dollar (another yard sale). and I've got an older Hawthorne rack around here somewhere that will go on it. I follow the philosophy grab whatever's cheap, never throw away any parts, and hoard them till summer when you can sell them like hot cakes. :mrgreen:

I don't know but I think I would see about offering $80 for both and see what happens. if I really wanted em I just close my eyes an go for it. depends on how much ya want em.
but of course I am cheap so I 'd ust offer $25 for em. lol. good luck.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Back