What is this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i like to know what kinda bike this is (if its a vintage bike)

Mike

AMJ4oYX.jpg

Vintage only applies to bikes that were high end for their time, it is definitely an old bike, so the word antique could fit. As for it being desirable, it's a 20" girl's bike, so not very desirable (as far as money is concerned) but it's a neat looking frame.

I was always told "vintage" has to be at least 30 yrs. old. "Antique" has to be at least 100 yrs. old. Gary
Vintage means rusty on craigslist, other than that exception you are spot on!
I wish I could tell the o.p. more about the mixtie 20" except I have seen and worked on them, always thought they should fold...

It could be a cool bike if you have a kid that could ride it. I don't buy children's bikes, too small for me to ride. I'm envious though, so many cool bikes in the Netherlands.

It could be a cool bike if you have a kid that could ride it. I don't buy children's bikes, too small for me to ride. I'm envious though, so many cool bikes in the Netherlands.

In the Netherlands you only find the so called 'omafietsen' i much rather wanna live in America :)

I imagine the city bike "omafietsen" is probably pretty cheap and plentiful used? Perfect to cut up and make custom bikes. I guess there probably aren't many of the vintage cruisers but the work bikes "transportfiets" are cool. One day I'm going to own a bakbrommer, but they don't really exist over here.

I imagine the city bike "omafietsen" is probably pretty cheap and plentiful used? Perfect to cut up and make custom bikes. I guess there probably aren't many of the vintage cruisers but the work bikes "transportfiets" are cool. One day I'm going to own a bakbrommer, but they don't really exist over here.

I'm impressed with you knowledge of Dutch bikes. Have you been there? Gary

i lately found 2 Omafietsen, 1 without a saddle and 1 with a flat tire, they're pretty common here. never thought of cutting it up

I was always told "vintage" has to be at least 30 yrs. old. "Antique" has to be at least 100 yrs. old. Gary

When I was a kid my parents explained antiques to me as anything over 30 years old, and they are my parents, they are brilliant, so I still stick to this. That was before "vintage" was being used other than to be used with a specific year (ie: What vintage is this wine? 1947 or What vintage is that pickup? Looks to be a 63-64 model)

Now, most of us are old enough to have things we got new over 30 years ago, that is why someone redefined "antique" out of a desire not be called an antique themselves. I just listed a 1984 Murray BMX up for sale, it's 30 year old, to many it might not seem an antique, but to younger collectors, that bike is older than them and they see it as an antique.

The problem with the term vintage is that it can be used on antiques or on stuff that is just desirable and no longer available, to give it a year is impossible, since in essence, it is designed by a year and should properly be used "This bicycle is a 1978 vintage."

I'm sticking with 30 year + antique, go to an antique store now and you will find Tonka trucks that are younger than me, it's an antique, I can deal with it, even if it's vintage is 1980.

I'm impressed with you knowledge of Dutch bikes. Have you been there? Gary

No, I haven't been there. I like all the different types of bikes used across the world, especially bikes made to do real work. As the result of my vintage moped addiction I have spent some time browsing dutch sites (like marktplaats, ebay.nl and so on) so its easy to pick up key terms.

Back