What is this frame? updated, please read:)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Posted on the local CL. Seller has agreed to do $40 for it even though asking price was $100 (which I would never pay, haha) Listed as a JC Higgins but I have my doubts. Can you ID it by this picture and tell me if it's a good price. Chain guard looks like a Monark to me, but perhaps it was just pieced together that way. Any help is MUCH appreciated, thanks!

UPDATED: maybe this will help out? Model # 1300g
Seriel #- A1419306

Here is the ad. She also agreed to do $75 on the spaceliner cantilever frame bike, but I think I'd rather have the older frame. Looks 1950's to me?

http://allentown.craigslist.org/bik/2629731412.html

Re: What is this frame?

Does this picture help anyone?

headbadge.jpg

Headbadge is monark so there's your answer. Looks late 40's -early 50's. Hard to tell if both truss rods are there. It's worth at least the $40 you'd be paying

ozzmonaut said:
Headbadge is monark so there's your answer. Looks late 40's -early 50's. Hard to tell if both truss rods are there. It's worth at least the $40 you'd be paying

Both truss rods are there, I have another picture of it that clearly shows it. I just can't find out what type of Monark it is....

Same frame was used for a few of their bikes. It's kind of like Schwinn, one framestyle might be 6 different bikes sold. But I've seen a monark coronet that had that frame for sure, but it had a tank. Just not sure if the tank was original to the bike or not.

Can't tell if a tank has been on it at one point or not. It definately is a 24" bike, head badge says Monark Silverking. Neat old bike. It's going to be my Phillies project bike and do it up on the old blue and marroon retro colors the phillies used to wear.

Euphman06 did you ever find out what model your Monark is? I was surprised to find your post about that bike because I got the EXACT same bike last June (I payed $80 for it). Same color, same style badge, same chain guard (btw, notice it's a Super Deluxe style chain gaurd?), same rear rack, same handle bars.

I found some info that pointed me to believe that it's possible a 24" Deluxe, not Super Deluxe, just Deluxe. I found a chain guard on ebay for a 24" Monark and it was in original aged condition and it read "Deluxe". A 24" Deluxe?, first I've ever heard of one. Possible I would think.

EastOfEastLos said:
Euphman06 did you ever find out what model your Monark is? I was surprised to find your post about that bike because I got the EXACT same bike last June (I payed $80 for it). Same color, same style badge, same chain guard (btw, notice it's a Super Deluxe style chain gaurd?), same rear rack, same handle bars.

I found some info that pointed me to believe that it's possible a 24" Deluxe, not Super Deluxe, just Deluxe. I found a chain guard on ebay for a 24" Monark and it was in original aged condition and it read "Deluxe". A 24" Deluxe?, first I've ever heard of one. Possible I would think.

After a chem removal of the house paint on top, it was actually in nice paint condition underneath with the original paint and yes the chain guard did read "deluxe".

Nickinator said:
It looks to be a monark, the rack looks monark the front fork set up is monark. can you get a picture of the sprocket?

Yes, it is a Monark, no doubt about that. As I told Euphman 06, I have the EXACT same bike. The only thing on mine is that the truss rods were gone and the pedals are different. Not sure who's pedals are original, mine or Euphman 06's. My pedals are the white with black stripes.

I think the other main thing we're both after is the MODEL, we've established the MAKE is Monark. The headbadge alone is the MAKE indicator.

What I've found out so far is that: The bikes are boys 24". Our serial numbers indicate year built of 1952. Our model numbers (1300G) haven't turned up anything. Because of the shape of the chain guard, information I've found points possibly to our bikes being 24" Monark Rocket Deluxe or just 24" Monark Deluxe. Not "Super Deluxe" in either case. Usually, Rockets would have a head badge that read "Rocket" in big letters and in smaller letters below it would say something like "Built by Monark Silver King Co. Chicago, Il."

Only someone with the Guide to old bikes book could look up the 1300G model number and tell us for sure what model of Monark these bikes are. I'd like to nail down for sure what model it is, that's for sure.

Euphman06 said:
EastOfEastLos said:

After a chem removal of the house paint on top, it was actually in nice paint condition underneath with the original paint and yes the chain guard did read "deluxe".

Yes, and I'm pretty sure it only read "deluxe" and not "super deluxe", right? That's what I've found online. And really, I've only found like two references on the whole internet of a 24" Monark "Deluxe". They might be rare. I tried to contact a person on the CABE who posted that they had a "rare" 24" Monark Deluxe but my messages weren't going through. That person didn't have pictures up so I was trying to get him to post one so I could see if my 24" Monark and his were the same. But I know mine is definitely the same as yours, even has the same 1300G model number. I have mine taken apart right now and may build it for this years Bike Build Off because mine is in ratty condition already. Yours looks to have good paint on it. It would probably polish up nice! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back