what I love about this place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rockpilex said:
I'm a diamond frame, lightweight guy so I do most of my posting over on BF. But I've got to tell you I lurk on y'alls website everyday. The creativety and respectful manner you guys display is a refreshing change from the catfight that goes on Bike Forums daily :!: . I wonder if it's an age thing, I'm 50, what's the average age of RR posters?
Its funny you should say that about the age thing.. There is a thread on everyones age.. I think we range from 15 to 60.. seriously..

What I like about this place is we treat each other as equals.. age, race, sex or religion is never an issue here.

I often wonder why the rat rod and balloon tire crowd is so much more friendlier than the other bike riders. I ride around town a lot, and I don't know how it compares to anyone else's experience, but the friendliest group of bicycle riders are the rat rod and cruiser guys.

The commuters only see the bike as functional and never wave to me when I'm on a bike, even if I'm riding on a commuter. The road bike triathalon crowd never wave. The hipsters only look at my bike to see if 1) it's a fixed gear and 2) if so, if I spent more money on mine than they did. But the cruisers and rat rod riders always wave, and if we stop to chat, they always have a story to tell about their bike and they almost always want to hear the story about mine. That's one of the reasons I like buying old bikes, because the guys selling them tend to be really cool and their bikes almost always have a history to them. Many commuters and roadies are experienced bikers, but they just don't seem as friendly or willing to share.

It's a love fest. :D

SkidMark said:
I think that any sort of collectables should be reserved for those who love them, not for those who want to make a quick buck. There are plenty of professions that allow you to make a quick buck, real estate was a good example until recently. Old bikes (old cars, motorcycles, guitars, etc.) a part of history and have "soul", they are not just commodities.

I think it's odd that as buyers that you would want prices to go up.

I'd like to think that others here are in it for the "love" and not the profit, and judging by what get sawn up and customized here, I'd say that's true.

I as a buyer do not want the prices to go up, But all of us are collectors also, and what is the sense collecting for years only to have your stuff worth nothing later on down the road, I want the prices to keep going up, It keeps us looking for deals and Barn Finds, and a profit down the road when you decide to sell. I have collected many things over the years and they all followed the same pattern, some got so expensive that I stopped collecting and moved onto something else. For me I think this Bicycle collecting is a cheap hobby that has not reached it's peak, I'm 48 now with 3 kids, 18, 13 and 9, my kids love bikes, and hopefully they will reap the rewards of my crazy fascinations years down the road.

Well I can speak for the BMX side.When I started getting back into them years ago, things were still reasonable. As the years have past, to me at least, its gotten WAY out of hand. My bike im just finishing (and my last BMX) will be worth over 3 grand. When prices get up that high, the enjoyment starts to slip, as buying the things you want starts to become a choice between settling, or sellin the farm. I like rat bikes because a) they are still cheap, and b) the amount of freedom, and creativity you 're able to use are SO refreshing. So im getting out of the BMX game, and once this bike is done, ill take some pix, ride it a few times, then part it out and be done with it.

my hobbies have never been about monetary gain. i do them cause i like doing them.

i purchased a couple pinball machines last week for pennies. i even told the guy he wasn't asking enough, and they where worth alot more. (previous to the purchase)
the price still remained the same. he never changed it. he got what he wanted and was happy to be rid of them.
personally i felt the need to inform the old dude of the fair market value and i was the one purchasing them.

so guy on ebay uses info from a public forum to make a knowledgable sale? to get the most $$$$ possible. i just dont see the problem.
as previously stated, dont we do the same when selling cars,homes,etc.

if its priced too high it wont sell. i think grumpy guy probably wanted the bike for himself, so he could turn a profit. :)

i love the fact he also thinks old articals and info that other people have writen, somehow belongs to him and him alone.
i guess thats the problem with hanging out on the net all day, and not having any real friends.

eventually ya just forget how to interact with people and all your social skills go to heck. :)

What I like about the forum is the broad appreciation for all types of bikes.
Yes! Because any bike could be a Rat, with the right attitude! Weather it's a vintage cruiser, sixties lightweight, trash picked mountain bike, or even a brand new WalMart special-it can be a Rat! And so, a wide variety of bike maniacs all converge here, building bikes! Viva La RRB!!!! :D ~Adam

Latest posts

Back