What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today the German Bike Community is in mourning. Yesterday one of our activists, nicknamed Natenom, from the south of Germany was killed in a tragic accident by a car running him over at full speed from behind.
To pay him and his work respect many of us are switching on the CriticalMaps app, to show that we never ride alone...
It would be great if you could join in...
🖤🕯️
View attachment 257825
That scares the crap out of me my commute is 12km a each way every day most on a busy industrial road often in the dead of night on iceya roads @MattiThundrrr avoids. I've become more aware of the danger in the last year. Bought a helmet switched to led lights and started wearing a goofy green construction jacket.

That scares the crap out of me my commute is 12km a each way every day most on a busy industrial road often in the dead of night on iceya roads @MattiThundrrr avoids. I've become more aware of the danger in the last year. Bought a helmet switched to led lights and started wearing a goofy green construction jacket.
That didn't help him unfortunately. He was wearing a safety vest all the time helmet and bright lights, even had a kind of distance pole mounted to his bike. Last night it was pitch dark and raining and it was an overland road with no cycle track alongside. His daily commute! According to the police report the cardriver didn't see him as he was blinded by the lights of an oncoming car. The speedlimit there is 100 km/h and when I look at the pictures of the car and the bike (links below), that was probably the speed of the impact...
He was documenting his experiences with reckless car drivers for years and the police only ridiculed him. He most probably filmed his own death, as he always had two cameras on his bike, one facing forward, the other backward. Despite many cardrivers threatening him he always stayed friendly and helpful. Even on the day before his death he helped a elderly cardriver who had trouble getting his car of a crossing. I remember some nice conversations we had online, but never met him in person.
He will be missed!

https://www.t-online.de/nachrichten...dreas-mandalka-stirbt-bei-verkehrsunfall.htmlhttps://einsatzreport24.de/bekannter-radfahr-aktivist-stirbt-bei-unfalldrama-im-enzkreis/

That didn't help him unfortunately. He was wearing a safety vest all the time helmet and bright lights, even had a kind of distance pole mounted to his bike. Last night it was pitch dark and raining and it was an overland road with no cycle track alongside. His daily commute! According to the police report the cardriver didn't see him as he was blinded by the lights of an oncoming car. The speedlimit there is 100 km/h and when I look at the pictures of the car and the bike (links below), that was probably the speed of the impact...
He was documenting his experiences with reckless car drivers for years and the police only ridiculed him. He most probably filmed his own death, as he always had two cameras on his bike, one facing forward, the other backward. Despite many cardrivers threatening him he always stayed friendly and helpful. Even on the day before his death he helped a elderly cardriver who had trouble getting his car of a crossing. I remember some nice conversations we had online, but never met him in person.
He will be missed!

https://www.t-online.de/nachrichten...dreas-mandalka-stirbt-bei-verkehrsunfall.htmlhttps://einsatzreport24.de/bekannter-radfahr-aktivist-stirbt-bei-unfalldrama-im-enzkreis/
That's crazy we have a bike lane but the Walmart trucks stop there to wait to get in so to go around them I end up in the road quite scary

Scheisse! Scheisse!!!
Bad news.
Rest in Peace, Andreas Natenom Mandalka.

I think we all have been in dangerous situations with our bicycles, I was several times. In my town so many people on bikes were killed by turning trucks or car racers, it is so horrible. Way to many Ghost Bikes around the pavements here...

Geisterrad-Berlin.jpg

Please, always be careful!!

Last edited:
Went out on a limb for my ride yesterday.

20240131_160150.jpg
20240131_160324.jpg
20240131_160314.jpg

Glad you're OK, Eric!!

Thanks Lars!
Still getting used to the bike, it's quicker handling, light weight, & how my body position affects handling in certain situations. Accelerates quick & was barely staying on the track coming off the berms. Probably entered a little high & couldn't overcome the inertia of the weight shift & was almost vertical when the tires just couldn't hang on. This is how we learn. Thumb is pretty sore & will be for a while yet. Just gotta back off a bit for now.

Got some more time on the Redline yesterday in Superior where this bike really shines! I am really impressed so far.
IMG_20240201_154820419.jpg

When I first picked up the bike to build for pump track use with a few parts swapped out I also came up with a full upgrade if it rode well enough to warrant the expense/trouble. One minor detail in the original front hub is basically begging for a bigger axle. The quick release axle is a bit small for the 10mm fork dropout & moves a little if the QR isn't extremely tight.
May be the perfect opportunity to build a disc wheelset, lop off the canti mounts since those are being phased out, touch up paint, white Redline Flight crank/BB......🤔🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Will continue to enjoy as is for the time being & keep the QR tight.🙂

Finally pulled my Mongoose Beast fat tire bike, Sasquatch, out of the garage for the first time in a long time this evening. I aired up the tires and took it for a short test-ride around the neighborhood.
20240202_172438.jpg

Turns out it pedals and stops just fine, but the gear ratio is not ideal for regular riding. I need a bigger gear up front at least, and preferably a smaller one out back.
20240202_172504.jpg

I also need to swap out the seat for something more comfortable.
20240202_172533.jpg

Those tracks look like so much fun. I think I will look it up on YouTube.
I am fortunate to have 6 Velosolutions pump tracks within 30 min. Valmont Bike Park in Boulder, Avery(?) Park in Superior, Anthem Park in Broomfield, A park in Erie, new one in Firestone and newest is in Berthoud Bike Park. Highest concentration of pump tracks in the country and sooooo thankful!😇
Finally pulled my Mongoose Beast fat tire bike, Sasquatch, out of the garage for the first time in a long time this evening. I aired up the tires and took it for a short test-ride around the neighborhood.
View attachment 258032

Turns out it pedals and stops just fine, but the gear ratio is not ideal for regular riding. I need a bigger gear up front at least, and preferably a smaller one out back.
View attachment 258034

View attachment 258035
I've been thinking of taking Maurice for a spin lately. Thanks for the reminder!🤓
IMG_20230929_181053633.jpg

View attachment 258032

View attachment 258034

View attachment 258035

I had one of those 11 years ago and always had a blast riding it around town.

1707181463171.png

Last edited:
We are having warmer weather then normal here in northern Iowa. Most of the snow is melted. So I've been able to ride my 57 Huffy.
A few more times then I thought I'd be able to. Took it for a run across town earlier today. Got a little mud on it.
IMG_20240205_214516058.jpg

Early this morning I went for my 1st ride on my "Runt" of the litter. Glad I did so before my neighbors were up and about. I spent the evening before making a few modifications and still barley fit on it. The bike frame is 16" from top bar to the ground. 4" wheels. With the new additions the seat is 28" of the ground and the grips are 37" off the ground. I'm 6'1" and 230 pounds. Lol. I removed the rear spring and installed a longer one with the spring removed so it's now a hard tail. Added the longer layedback seat post a bit bigger and matching seat. Removed the scooter style handlebar and replaced it with a taller seat post and added a second stem at the to to get some distance from the seat and added the early 80's handlebars for more height and reach. When cleaning and repacking everything I got the red paint marker out add fancied it up a bit. It goes. But I did a lot of peddling for very little speed and less distance. Also learned you need to NOT lean back, or you'll keep going until your on your back. Glad I got it, but it's next upgrade is a wheelie bar. And have to do something about the gear ratio. Super low gear right now. It's like sprinting in place. Lol.

Before
Screenshot_20240123-100006.png

After
IMG_20240205_104120360.jpg

IMG_20240205_104143983.jpg

Today was a sad day for the German bike Community.... Cyclists from all over Germany remembered the tragic death of @Natenom last week. He was a bike activist who was fighting for his (and our) right to use the street as a cyclist. At the place of his accident near Pforzheim in the south of Germany a GhostBike was put up and around 500 cyclists from all over Germany where present.
4d9043a6a56976eb.jpeg

242f126bac91b6d3.jpeg

In the same time in around 30 cities simultaneously protest rides with over thousand riders in total took place. In Berlin alone 300 joined despite the cold and wet weather. It was as if the sky was in mourning too. At 13:00 CET all joined in a moment of silence and activated the CriticalMaps app on their phones. This is how it looked on the website:
ff8094edf7a46812.jpg

As the logo of his blog and on social media was an elefant the meeting point in Berlin was the elefant gate of our zoo.
signal-2024-02-11-180636_009.jpeg

I joined with my IronPig and had added the logo with reflective tape on my backpack
IMG_20240211_125508626.jpg

The ride finished up in front of the ministry of traffic
IMG_20240211_140548180.jpg

🖤🕯️🖤🕯️🖤🕯️🖤

Latest posts

Back