What Do You Use To Remove Grease From Bearings?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brake parts cleaner works well for me; I'll use a nylon bristle brush (or a toothbrush) if the grease is really old and stubborn, but usually just spraying them down with brakleen will get the job done quickly.

+3 on brake cleaner. i like the cheap auto zone brand. while cones and cups clean easily bearing retainers are kind of a pita, the common ones aren't expensive, and often not worth the trouble imho.

on real gummy nasty bearings(20,30,40,50 years old) i'll soak 'em in kerosene or gasoline.
on stuff that is still pretty fresh (couple months to a year) wax & grease remover is fine, but the kerosene is probably still cheaper.

i will try the brake-clean. i know i've a couple cans of that.

another suggestion...besides rubber gloves you guys really should wear protective eyewear when messing w/ these chemicals.
i know this is obvious to most of us. i'm just tossin' it out there. some of these things have a serious splash factor.

schwinnmesa said:
Get a plastic cup or bowl and dump some mineral spirits in it. Then drop some bearings in there while they are fully emerged and let them sit for 24 - 48 hours.
same here but i also clean them with a toothbrush while they are soaking

id love to have a parts washer, but for now, i get those cheap disposable gladware containers and use cheap wallyword brake cleaner. btw, they WILL card you for brake clean. i got away with it cause of my grey "highlights" haha, and i bought grease and shop towels at the same time. im sure if i tried to buy a whole case of just brake clean, it woulda been suspicious. also, it says on the can that it causes cancer to lab rats in california, so gloves and eye protection are a very good idea.

Back