What do you use for a final clean of a bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I've waxed the frame, cleaned and polished all the parts, but when putting a bike back together grease and lube gets on stuff from dirty hands and what not. What do you use for a final clean to really bring out the shine? I've tried Simple Green, but found that leaves a residue that dulls the shine. I was thinking about trying Windex, but thought I'd ask to see what others were using.

So... What's your experience?

Lemon Pledge Extra Moisturizing. Pledge is the only stuff I've found that will take off grease (oil based) and dirt (water based). Plus it tends to resist dust pretty well. (duh) I think it might actually repel moisture a bit too, but that is not fully proven yet.

There is a spray instant wax thing I have gotten from the Automotive section in the big box stores.. Quick Detail or similar.. Shoot a little bit on a soft rag and go to town wiping off the fingerprints. I used to use it a bunch on my old blue truck, did a panel at a time while I was waiting around for work.. No white residue, etc..

Windex works but leaves no wax and can dull the shine.. I do use it on my beater bikes.

Although the pledge idea sounds pretty good! It's probably a lot cheaper.

Any pf those are good, but NOT Windex or Simple Green. Those are cleaners with solvent of some sort, and will remove the wax off the frame. That is why the finish gets dull.

X001.jpg

Rubbing alcohol works great for grease & won't hurt the paint . Also work great to put the grips on it evaporates quickly .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FW1 Wash and Wax. Very good product but pricey. My grocery store had an in- store vendor demonstrating this stuff and it blew me away. They were running a promo wher you get 3 cans for $ 30. It usually sells for about $ 18 a can. This stuff is great!

I use WD-40 and a rag, but all my bike have original paint, WD-40 does Wonder's to old paint.

Waxing is one of the last steps, then i go wash my hands (eat lunch, what ever), that gives the wax time to dry. Then I use a clean rag to buff out the wax so there really isn't any more grease going on the bike.
I wax parts too, like chrome handle bars. It helps keep the moisture away from plated parts, not just painted surfaces.

Latest posts

Back