What do you do

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you see a small bike company take your one off design and make an almost exact copy of it down to the color and pin stripping style? The same bars same fork same almost everything but give you no credit and will probably lie about how they came up with it if asked? I even know how it reached the company as far as pictures taken of my bike by a friend of the bike company owner!!

This company is making a bunch of them and selling and is using the original one they made that looks identical to mine as the display model.

I doubt there is much you can do. When someone copies your stuff, that usually means it was a good design. If you made one good design, you can make another...even better. You need to start a thread here..."The ORIGINAL leobike". Post a bunch of pics of it and at least all the RatRodBike forum members will know it was your original design. 8) Gary

There have been a couple threads about this subject. One was on the Basman frame and Micgari and the other involved a shifter (Fat Bxsterd). It is pretty tough to prove anything much less get it changed.

Maybe consider it a compliment.

More importantly what do you want? Do you want, royalty, payment, recognition, a free production bike. I know how frustrating it is but what would you want come of it.

I see that Behind Bars Inc has a bike very similar to yours :wink:

Good question, not sure exactly what I would want. But its not cool at all to just take someones design and not give any consideration to the person that designed it, especially if you're going to make money off of it.

MIgz
Do you mean this bike?
bikecopy.jpg

P1010058s.jpg

You think its a little similar? :roll:

I wasnt going to give the name of company because they seem to be a friend of the site, so I wanted unbiased opinions but Migz saw it before I said anything. Ya they smoothed out the lines, but come on :shock:

Approaching this from an unbiased newb aspect... I've seen similar designs since I've been poking around. Those two frames you are showing aren't exactly the same, only the same style, with slight differnences at every point. Enough differences that I think you would be hard pressed to prove any sort of ownership to the design in a court of law. But I'm no lawyer, just making an honest observation. Sorry.

this isnt about a court of law or anything on that level. I would probably not even get to that point, but more about peers of the same mindframe and whats right and wrong. I think its pretty obvious that the design is a rip off and clean up of the lines, period.

Here is my take on this: Every contemporary design is derivative. There is only so many ways pipe can be cut, bent and welded together without it looking as if it was spawned from another design.

Their bike has elements “taken” from Electra’s Rat Fink top tube, Basman’s rear triangle and Nirve’s down tube. Yours has “taken” the same cues with the addition of Felt’s chopper seat tube and a gravity bike lower tube.

If you think these guys stole your design, shoot them an email letting them know what you think. They may be accommodating and offer you some sort of compensation or they may tell you to take a hike.

BTW, I would not mistake their bike for yours, a Basman, a Rat Fink, a Felt Bandit or a Nirve chopper. Good luck. 8)

I think that the design is very similar to yours I think that at least you could ask to get a free frame for your contribution to the idea.

I don't think that is an unreasonable request.

I would take it as a compliment :wink: Just think YOUR bike is a production bike :eek: There are differences too.

CRASH said:
Approaching this from an unbiased newb aspect... I've seen similar designs since I've been poking around. Those two frames you are showing aren't exactly the same, only the same style, with slight differnences at every point. Enough differences that I think you would be hard pressed to prove any sort of ownership to the design in a court of law. But I'm no lawyer, just making an honest observation. Sorry.

This is what I was thinking when I looked at these bikes.....

Back