What do do with a stock Dolomite

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to Burning Man this summer, where custom built bikes are everywhere. I've already got a 25' fiberglass cabin cruiser boat that I've converted to a land vehicle, so I'm not doing a custom bike... I just got a fat-tire Mongoose Dolomite to ride. I did put on cruiser handlebars and seat.
When I get home, it's open season on the thing. I'm not a mountain bike guy at all, so this thing is going to become an organ donor.
Those 4" rims would take my Dyno Roadster to The Next Level, but I'd be throwing out pretty much the whole bike...
What would you do with a Dolo that you didn't need?

I'd like to see a pic of that land yacht.

As for the Dolomite, A set of tall apes and stretch the frame. Then you have an extra bike to go with your Dyno.

This is the Land Yacht, there's just too much effort involved to also do a custom bike, but when I get back, I'll cut that Dolo!
The Land Yacht is all custom, powered by a 4-cylinder and front-drive transaxle mounted in the rear. You drive from up front. A lot of steel from it's original boat trailer went into the hull belowdecks to create hard points to mount suspension.
I hadn't thought about the BB, the Dolo unit and the wide crank sure would make it easier to fat-tire the thing.
I've carefully saved all the Dyno's original parts so that it could be restored to stock original, but the more time goes by and the more custom it gets, well you know...

boat6_zps138d8125.jpg

IMG_4174_zpsd99a341c.jpg

Uh, by the way, the thread was supposed to be what TO do, not what do do... that certainly sounds wrong lol. Can a moderator fix that?! Pretty please?

I just have to say that land yacht is awesome. Do you have a build thread for it somewhere else on the web? I would love to find out more about it.

As far as the Dolomite goes I would probably grab a cheap cruiser frame and cut and work the dolomite running gear onto it.

I am more a motorhead than bike enthusiast, so of course that suggestion has lots of merit in my book. However, it'd still be a Dolomite... good bike to beat on at Burning Man, but lacking proper style in general.

Where do you guys FIND all these cool vintage frames that you build on? My next bike needs to be much older!

I'd love to elaborate further on the Land Yacht, it's quite a build, but I don't know if it's kosher to talk about stuff not at all related to super-cool bikes here on Rat Rod Bikes... ??

edit: Oh... I just noticed the "Other Talk" page, where I could do that!

Last edited:
Well, define proper style? They have a modern mtb geo, and fat tires. I think apes are a worthwhile addition it's more a heavy cruiser than something you'll slog around 15 miles of singletrack... quite honestly, in stock form it's a beast to pedal awhile or on low pressure (loose sand)

Since your a burning man attendee, you might like my dolomite; which was my build off bike last year. You may see it this year there, my neighbor will be going for the 4th time.

I managed to pickup a 36v 500w front hub motor On a score, considering lacing it up to this and adding a battery pack in the triangle, but lots of projects going. Overloaded.

I'll go start a thread on "Other Talk" for the Land Yacht, to keep stuff where it's 'sposta be.

And wow, that's quite a transformation on that Dolo!!

Back