What could possibly go wrong? lol

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stripping a few parts off of the old Schwinn Sidewinder I bought to sell on ebay.....then I looked around in the shop and a few parts caught my attention. I had a new 26" mountain bike alloy wheel....a flip flop BMX freewheel....and some Redline cranks. What the heck, I threw them on the Sidewinder for a look see....I had to put the cranks in backwards because of the freewheel. The sprockets line up....could this work? :?: A single speed BMX Cruiser with reversed cranks...then I can shed off of the shifting crap. I'd have to Locktite the freewheel and tighten the heck out of the pedals I guess.

S6303645.jpg

Since it appears that the sprockets line up...I guess I could use one of my other standard freewheels and not reverse the cranks. But that would take the fun out it! :shock: (and I sure would like to make some use of this stupid backwards freewheel that I got ripped off on from ebay)

I know nothing about single speed conversions...just wondering if it was doable on this one. I read that there is a risk of the freewheel backing off...but why would it? It's going on just like on a BMX and I've never had one back off? The only other possible issue I see at this point might be the kickstand...and it's coming off anyway,

And I guess it depends on if mountain bike skewers will hold a chain in adjustment...seems like they should if they hold a mountain bike wheel in place.

I made my 24 inch Schwinn a single speed coaster brake and haven't had any problems out of it so I don't see why you would have any. Mine is regular right side drive though.

i would put the kickstand on the other side, just to mess with people. :lol: i have no experience with flip flops or backwards freewheels, so i cant help you there. i assume the wheel will turn the right direction? :?

today i just finished making a single-speed out of a Schwinn Sierra that same color. what's the difference between a Sidewinder and a Sierra?

i didn't run into all that flip-flop problem, thank goodness. i managed to make parts of a couple of old cassettes and the freewheel from one of them to line up pretty well with the inside chain ring. i like the way this bike rides - wish i had a 3-speed internal hub for it...

the seirra is more of a ten-speed, and the sidewinder is more of a bmx/cruiser with speeds. :wink:

stretch, mine had those crazy one piece bullmoose stem/handlebar deals and it has kinda bear trap style pedals. i thought it was an early mountain bike. and it had twelve-speeds. the fork is different from this Sidewinder. i'll get a picture of it tomorrow.

Well it won't cost me anything to try it out. Figured I'd slap it all together today and ride the heck out of it to see how it does. If it works I can pull it down and do it the way I want.

Oh but I won't be reversing the cranks....I'm sure all of these reverse threads were made for a reason.

can you just take the back wheel off and flip it 180 degrees to put cog on the right hand side, and put the BB set back as usual?

I guess I'm too dense to understand the problem (nothing new here!)

Back