What (cheap) tires can i run on 28x1 1/2 wood clad rims?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this and while I doubt there's an option, i'm curious. I'm assuming this is a glue on 28". I read somewhere about people using a 27" tire on a 28" rims, but wasn't sure if it was a clincher or not.

img20120123222225.jpg

Suggestions?

No, unfortunately that's not a clincher. I don't know of any cheap ways around that little dilemma; 2-300$ is what you can expect :|

while i haven't seen them available from any of our distributors since island cycle supply got bought by j&b importers years ago, i see that 28" (635mm) chrome 'westwood' style rims are available on the uk ebay site. of course that would require painting and rebuilding.....at least inexpensive blackwall 28 x 1 1/2" clinchers and tubes are still available here, so fixing a flat in goathead country would be less drama...... :wink:

I had a bike with 28" wood rims. When I got it it had a Schwinn sport touring 27x 1 1/4" tire on it. The tube was no good and the front tire was trashed, so I put another of the same tire on the front and two good tubes. It rode fine and while the tires are very very difficult to get onto the rim, the upside is that they don't come off either. The only issue I had was that the tires were skinnier than the rim after inflating, which looked odd. The trick is that they were Schwinn size tires. I doubt that normal 27"s would work.

Back