Western Flyer Seat Post

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a western flyer cruiser. Probably an 1982. I bought the regular laided back seat posts in 7/8 and they are to big but not by much. Does anyone know what size or where I can buy one that will fit? How about any other ideas. I have just started to ride the cruiser, but I find it difficult to ride since the seat seams to be to far forward and I am a big guy of 250 pounds. Any help and information will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Sakimoto :mrgreen:

cut the stock one in half, at a 45 degree angle. Have it welded, like a 7. Cheap, and it fits...
If ya want, spraybomb black. I just did a chrome one on an aluminum bike, I ground the weld, and cleared it. No rust, and it looks chrome(almost)

The post is probably 13/16". Laid back post are usually made of solid steel rod and I do not reccomend using a modified standard post or any tubing to make a laid back post. The tubing just doesn't have the strength to stand up and will buckle while riding.

To make your own- find a piece of solid steel rod that slips snuggly inside the bottom of the original post (3/4"?). Heat the rod with a torch and bend it to the desired angle. Cut the rod with 3" (seat side) and 8" (bike side). Cut a 6" piece from the bottom of the original post and slide it over the long side of the bent post until the bottom is flush. Weld top and bottom and enjoy the ride.

Udall,REALLY??? I have 2 bikes done that way(cut /weld original) and ride them ALOT. Not a crack or bend shows. It MAY just be the welder.......

Ouch! :idea: That would hurt if it did fail! Thanks guys for all your information. I really appreciate it.
Saki :mrgreen:

Stop at a local bike shop and get a seat post shim. Its a thin piece of metal with a lip at the top. It wraps around the post to make the diameter a bit bigger. I have an early 60's Western Flyer tandem that needed new seatposts - couldn't find any to fit - this solved it.

Thank you all for all the information, but I tried what forrestsmith suggested and bought a seatpost from porkchop BMX. WOW! This guy knows his stuff!! The post fit perfectly and I am so happy with the product. Thanks to everyone that responded, but a special thanks to forrestsmith.
Best regards,
Sakimoto :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back