Western Flyer project bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thrown a lot of $20 bills away in my lifetime and this might be another one. But for $20 I decided to take the plunge and build some sort of fun bike (or turn it into yard art).

All I can see is a Western Flyer head badge and a serial number on the left dropout of either R263400 or R283400. Rear hub is a Bendix coaster brake with a red line through the center of the hub circumference. And that star chain ring.....

Any idea of what this was originally and year of manufacture?

As always, thanks for your time and happy holidays.

WesternFlyer.jpeg

I've thrown a lot of $20 bills away in my lifetime and this might be another one. But for $20 I decided to take the plunge and build some sort of fun bike (or turn it into yard art).

All I can see is a Western Flyer head badge and a serial number on the left dropout of either R263400 or R283400. Rear hub is a Bendix coaster brake with a red line through the center of the hub circumference. And that star chain ring.....

Any idea of what this was originally and year of manufacture?

As always, thanks for your time and happy holidays.

View attachment 254646
Paging @Wildcat

It's an AMF made bike. (Roadmaster) My list says 1972, but I don't think that's right, it's mid 60's, especially with that original star sprocket and the red band Bendix one speed hub. The seat collar also ID's it as mid 60's.

The fork looks straight and the wheels don't look too bad, so I think it's a good candidate for a build. 26 x 2.125 tires will fit and you just need a 13/16ths seatpost and seat. Looks like original handlebars and grips. One of my early builds from years ago:
169848_10150107868356737_706863_o.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1960s-amf-roadmaster-jet-pilot-26-1879223423

Thank
It's an AMF made bike. (Roadmaster) My list says 1972, but I don't think that's right, it's mid 60's, especially with that original star sprocket and the red band Bendix one speed hub. The seat collar also ID's it as mid 60's.

The fork looks straight and the wheels don't look too bad, so I think it's a good candidate for a build. 26 x 2.125 tires will fit and you just need a 13/16ths seatpost and seat. Looks like original handlebars and grips. One of my early builds from years ago:
View attachment 254908

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1960s-amf-roadmaster-jet-pilot-26-1879223423
Thank you for the information! For sure I'll need to do something with the wheels as they are a bit wonky. I've not yet re-spoked a wheel yes so this might be the opportunity to give it a try! From there who knows where it will go. I've built up one drop-bar-knobbie bike and this will be my second attempt at building a bike from something destined for the scrap pile. Certainly a learning experience.... If I have questions, I'll ask!

Again, thank you!

Wildcat scoops me again! I like it--just needs a seatpost & saddle. If the wheels are wobbly, service the hub bearings first, then re-assess. You may not need to touch the spokes, other than to polish them.

Thank you all for the help! I'm not sure which direction this will take me, but I'll surely keep you informed.

Before you respoke that Bendix rear hub, inspect the small right side cone for damage. That's the part that wears out first and replacements are really hard to find.

$20 for the star sprocket is a bargain by itself.

Latest posts

Back